Reloading Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Software' started by crimsnkentucky, May 15, 2006.

1. crimsnkentucky

crimsnkentucky Private E-2

I accidently loaded Windows on the wrong drive and am now running out of free space. Can I uninstall it from that drive and reload it on the correct without losing everything such as word documents that I saved?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Well, sir, it is always prudent to make solid backups of your personal data. Anyway you approach this problem, I would recommend that you copy your files onto CD or DVD, or whatever media you have available to you.

Now, your best bet is a clean installation. To do this, please do the following:

1. Configure your BIOS to boot from CD
    2. Insert your XP installation disc
    3. Restart your machine
    4. When prompted, press any key to continue

From here, installation of XP is a breeze. For a clean installation, you would format all partitions, and install on the drive of your choice. You can also perform an installation directly onto another drive, but this will leave you with a bit of a mess to clean up afterwards.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds