Huge Problems after being downgraded from Vista to XP at work

Discussion in 'Software' started by roxygirl, Aug 6, 2007.

1. roxygirl

roxygirl Private E-2

Hi - I am a graphic designer, and have designed numerous documents in Quark Xpress using Vista.

Last week, my company downgraded me from Vista to XP Professional. I soon found out that whenever I make changes to any of the Quark files I created using Vista, they print horribly -- the colors are off and the images are pixellated. I was told that this is because XP and Vista use different color profiles. I fear that because I haved altered the files and saved them in XP format their quality is permanently damaged.

My boss has asked me to find out a way to restore the original quality of these files.

(If this is not possible, all the work I've done since I started my job has been destroyed. :cry)

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. roxygirl

roxygirl Private E-2

Thank you. I'll give that a try.

4. roxygirl

roxygirl Private E-2

It asks for a password to extract the file. Would you happen to know where I can get this password? Is it the serial number?

This what the dialog box says:

File 'Hexachrome0GOffset' is password protected.
    Please enter the password in the box below.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  5. TimW

6. roxygirl

roxygirl Private E-2

It wasn't the serial key, but I'm still trying...

7. TimW

I'm not sure what is happening with you ...are you sure it doesn't have anything to do with your network security? Have you emailed tech support?

8. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

This one work's with Oracle, try in small case "ids"

Steve

9. roxygirl

roxygirl Private E-2

Tech support is pretty stumped too -- they were the ones who suggested I try to find the answer online.

I even tried creating a password for my company's Quark account, but even that's not working.

Maybe it does have something to do with our network security, since you seem to be able to install it without any trouble.

Thanks for all your help and for finding that link ... I'm sure it's exactly what I'm looking for -- if only I could install it! rolleyes:)

10. TimW

Actually was referring to Quark tech support.....;)

11. roxygirl

roxygirl Private E-2

Lol... sorry. I work right next to tech support so they were the first ones I thought about. :D

Somebody has offered to crack the files for me tonight. Hopefully that works.

12. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

13. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You can play with alternative color profiles by opening the scanners and cameras or the printers dialog boxes in the control panel.

Select an individual device and right click.

Select properties and the colour management tab

You need to be logged on as an administrator to effect changes

Your It dept can also set color management in GRoup Policy.

In Windows XP it is called ICM 2.0 (image color management)

In Vista it is called WCS (windows color system)

You can get help on these from the windows help system.

14. roxygirl

roxygirl Private E-2

Thank you, studiot. I'll look into that. I'm expected to fix it myself, apparently, as no one else seems to be able to. confused

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds