Attention Petrol Heads

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigbazza, Oct 9, 2004.

1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Today, Saturday, 2pm USA West Coast time ( I think), (7am Sunday OZ time) a USA Speed Channel TV broadcast commences on the Bathurst 1000km race for 4 door sedans (Holdens and Ford V8's). This is the greatest sedan car race on the toughest street track in the world.

As they say, check your local guides, as Speed Channel may not cover the full day. Main event starts at 10am Sunday OZ time (5pm USA West Coast time?)

It is also the closest racing in the world with the top 20 qualifiers within 0.85 of a second.

This is no oval track race. It is up and down a mountain on a closed for the week, public road. Take a close look as they speed downhill through the dippers.

It takes place at the Mount Panorama circuit outside of Bathurst, NSW, Australia over 161 laps of approximately 4 miles long, per lap.Top speeds down the conrod straight (nearly 1 mile downhill) reach over 290Kph (or nearly 180 miles per hour) before they have to negotiate a chicane to slow them down for a left hander at the bottom of the straight.

On the rev limiter at 7500rpm in 6th gear, in 5 liter V8's.

46000+ spectators there yesterday to watch final practice and Top 10 shootout. Winner of the shootout was .001 (one thousandth of a second) ahead of the 2nd highest final qualifier.

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&num=20&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=v8+supercars&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=lang_en&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=images

is a link to V8 supercars and

www.v8supercars.com.au

is the link to the formula for more info. Hope they have enough bandwidth for the hits they will get today.

The race is telecast over the major countries of the world.

Hope you can catch it. Overseas drivers cannot come to grips with the circuit described as the most challenging road circuit in the world. They are usually 2 seconds slower, per lap, behind the regular professional V8 drivers.

I'm gone in 90 minutes to sit in front of the TV for 10 hours today. Bazza

2. bigbazza

Hope someone catches it. The great race starts in 3 hours and 10 minutes. Let me know if you are able to view it in NZ, UK, USA, China and other countries. Logging off. Bazza

3. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Don't have cable, so can't watch it here.

4. jarcher

jarcher I can't handle a title

well. . let us know how much fun you had watchn'
    and what happend
    explosions, death, etc

cheers. . . . .

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

AFAIK Bazza, its not on UK TV live but is generally shown a week later on one of the motor racing shows.... I make a point of watching it if I notice its on as its a really good race that circuit is a monster :D on odd occasions some UK racing drivers enter this IIRC.

Hope it was a goodun?

6. bigbazza

Halo, bloody pommie invitational drivers caused lots of havoc.:D Brocky didn't even get to drive.:p Was a great race:) . 4 Holdens in the first 4 grid positions.:D Before the first lap was finished a Ford was leading.:p A kangaroo bounded across the track and wiped out the front of 1 car. Telecast was supposed to be beamed live to the UK, they said.

Murphy from NZ, won for the second time running. 6 1/2 hours to travel 1000 kilometres (over 620 miles) at an average of nearly 100 miles per hour around this circuit. Incredible.

JA, no deaths or explosions, but plenty of crashes, 1 spectacular rollover and 1 very sore (dead?) kangaroo. Lots of yellow flag incidents. New technology "skycam" was incredible.
    2 cameras suspended on wires above pit lane. Cameras motor powered and capable of around 60 kph (35 mph approx) to keep up with action with a birds eye view.

Ah well, another year till the next great race. Indy (Champ?) cars and V8supercars at Surfers Paradise next weekend. Don't miss it. Rated as the best circuit for these open wheelers. Girls are easy on the eyes as well. Bazza

7. bigbazza

My mistake, next weekend is Phillip Island motorcycles for the world's best motor cycle racers. Valentino Rossi. Mick Doohan, and others vote Phillip Island as one of their favourite circuits.

The following weekend is Surfers Paradise, around the street circuit.

3 great weekends in a row, in Australia, for petrolheads who visit and drive, from around the world. Bazza

====

8. bigbazza

5 hours till the telecast starts at Phillip Island for you motorcycle revheads. Not sure when Valentino Rossi's race starts. He is second on the grid and should win another World Championship. 60,000 people expected to attend this weekend. Bazza

===

9. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Bazza,,is there a web broadcast,,and if so do you have a link handy,,Thanks, Glenn

10. bigbazza

glennk721, sorry mate, I logged off after sending my post, just before yours. It is now 1 day later and too late for you to watch. Valentino's race was agreat one, with the lead changing 3 times on the last lap. He won by a very small margin. 2 Australian Grand Prix in a row. 2 World Championships in a row, on different Manufacturer's bikes, Honda then Yamaha. Very rarely done. Now 6 World Championships in 3 different categories. What a rider. Bazza

PS: Indy Grand Prix at Surfers Paradise next weekend. Bazza

http://www.v8supercar.com.au/calendars/clndrevent.asp?eid=165&ind=M

Open Wheelers and tintops equal billing. Baz
    ===

11. bigbazza

This weekend, qualifying and finals of the Indy 300 and heat of the V8 Supercars at Surfers paradise, Queensland, Australia. As they say, check your local guides for great open wheeler and tin top racing. Bazza

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

This weekend my petrol fumed viewing pleasure will be from Interlagos ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds