Need Help with Notebook Beep Codes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bper, Oct 3, 2005.

1. bper

bper Corporal

Hi,

A Compaq EVO n160 notebook beeps 3 times, pauses then beeps once. After the beeps, there is no display and no boot. I tried searching the net for the codes but couldn't find them.

Does anyone know what these codes mean and how the problem could be resolved. I'm wondering if it is either a bad or loose memory card or display problem.

Thanks.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Beep codes will depend on your BIOS. Do you have video to get into BIOS and determine what make and version you have? If not, we'll have to search your mobos manufacturer's website to determine this.

3. bper

bper Corporal

No display, just the beeps. Again, it's a Compaq EVO n160.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Do you know the make/model of your motherboard? Heh, I'd like to help but I'm at work and can only spend a few mins at a time helping someone. Right now, we have to research your laptop to find the motherboard, and then research your motherboard to find your BIOS and then research your BIOS to find your beep codes.
    The more info you have the more you help us both.

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Heh, shoulda told you that this info should be in any manuals that may have come with the system. Check around!

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Oh god. I just found out that there's also a million different models of this computer, too! You'll have to bring us more info, I'm afraid.

7. bper

bper Corporal

Hi,

Thanks. Sorry, I don't mean to cause you any stress. I don't have any of the original manuals. I downloaded manuals from compaq's web site, but I haven't found anything related to deciphering the beeps or even the specs on the MB or Bios. I thought someone might've had some experience with this type of notebook. I'll keep checking. Should I find anything I'll post.

Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds