What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by HelpMeWithMyMac, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HelpMeWithMyMac

HelpMeWithMyMac Private E-2

Just wonder what people over here are reading.
    I have just finished a sci-fi novel 'Lord Of Light' by roger Zelazny and started reading 'The Man Of Property' by Galsworthy. Tough reading I should say, taking in consideration that English is not my native language!:)

2. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Personally I liked the Honor Harrington series. I like anything written by Eric Flint, 1632, and the sequel 1633, were really good.

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

lol...I'm reading the new Harry Potter. Haven't gotten very far but have started it.

4. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I haven't read it yet, but I know how it ends.

And I won't tell.

5. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

I dont have much time for reading anymore :( but I like the covert-one series by Robert Ludlum. There a book in that series that I have read yet!! must get it!! LOL

6. LauraR

Better not tell!! :p

;)

7. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

A couple of books by Robert Baer, a book on the modern effect of the Crusades, the 4th book of the Gunslinger series, and some other stuff that I am forgetting about.

8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I'm reading one of the "Executioner" series by Don Pendleton. :guns
    Ex-Green-Beret, Mafia, guns, murder, and mayhem with a few explosions to meld it all together.

9. LauraR

Has anyone ever read any Christopher Moore books (Lamb, Practical Demonkeeping, etc.)? One of my all time faves. Funniest books I have ever read.

10. dyamond

Thats kinda like the covert-one novels I've read.. you've peaked my interest, now I have go check out those novels... thanks musk :p LOL

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  11. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Lord of Light was great! I'm rereading John Varley's 'Persistence of Vision'

12. Lanfear

Lanfear Private First Class

Idoru by Willam Gibson. Long live cyperpunk

13. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

Just finished Incubus Dreams by Laurell K Hamilton. Started Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter #7) today :)

~C

14. LauraR

Calltaker...I used to read all the anita blake books and then they just got to be too much if you know what I mean. Are you liking them as much as the first ones?

15. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Just finally received 2 books after many month's of waiting, and read them both within the past 2 days.

A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah and Black Man's Grave by Gary Stewart and John Amnan.

Both are about the history and wars in Sierra Leone and surrounding countries. Blood Diamond, starring Leonardo Di caprio was a recent movie covering the same topics.

I was interested in obtaining these 2 books as I was working in SL '92-'94 before the rebel war turned really ugly in '95 when hostages were taken from the mine where I worked, and from a nearby mine we visited.

A Long Way Gone is not for the squeamish. Bazza

16. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

I'm just reading logs and more logs! And when I finish those, I have more logs to read. And did I forget to say that I also have more logs to read and that tomorrow I will also have more. :D:D:D:D

17. LauraR

:D Glad I can help ya with that chas. ;) (thank you again and my friend thanks you even though she doesn't know it.)

Do you see them in your sleep?

18. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

You're welcome again!

Yes I forgot to mentioned that! ;) While I sleep, I also like to read logs. :D

19. lb4norleans

lb4norleans Who 'dat

I'm reading the manuals for our new TIGER Embosser, and also the manual for New Super Nova Software...

Earlier I read the Menu for a cool Chinese's restaurant, and then ordered a pizza instead...:major

20. Solange

Solange Sergeant Major

I'm reading through a series of books by a Swedish author called Jan Guillou. He is a journalist who in the 80's was imprisoned for revealing to the public that the security police in Sweden was doing things they were not supposed to do and "weren't doing" till he presented proof. He wrote a series of books about a type James Bond agent in Sweden, but with a military background. Mixed in with the story is a lot of interesting and sometimes shocking references to Swedish politics.

Taking a break now after the 6th in the series, to read the latest HP... :D

21. dyamond

I've read that book several times, its very good but sad. Its a definite read!

22. JakeD

JakeD Corporal

I'm reading "Brave New World" for my AP English class. Not too bad. Weird to think about the "utopian" future. ;)

23. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Gates of Rome by Conn Iggulden - Historical fiction about a young Marcus and Gaius (Brutus and Caesar) :)

24. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

Great book of short stories, if memory serves.

Currently reading "Planet Simpson - How a Cartoon Masterpiece Defined a Generation"

25. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Just finished Stephen King's Lisey's Story.

I don't care what the critics say...he's still got it. He may not be writing the same brand of horror, but he's still awfully damn good.

26. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

Actually, I still am. I had a similar problem with Anne Rice though. Loved her INterview series until around Pandora, it just go to be too much labor to read. I think she just got too wrapped up in describing stuff. LEave a little to my imagination I guess. Am reading Micah right now, after finishing Deathly Hallows today... good book, but I was not happy with the ending. Left too much in the way of unanswered questions IMHO. But then again, maybe it is leaving the way open for book 8... *shrug*

~C

27. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Yeah, I know what you mean. Basically I've given them up for what I suspect is the same reasons as you.

Working on Weber's latest. Dang if I can remember the name, something about Fury. He's a good writer, I loved his Honor Harrington series.

28. peterparker

peterparker Corporal

These are a great series, musksnipe.
    Have just finished, Cross by James Patterson and Jeffery Deaver's the Cold Moon.

29. LauraR

I was the same with Anne Rice except I don't think I got even that far. I absolutely loved them and then started to hate them. I'm reading Deathly Hallows now (so no spoilers!! ;) )

'zactly...got to be there was no story

30. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

Anything by Andrew Klavan. the first one I read was Dynamite Road, had to finish it in one sitting.

31. dyamond

I finally got the book (The Moscow Vector by Robert Ludlum) I've been wanting to read (had to pay the library the $4.00 I owed them first:D) I cant wait to start, the series is so good!

32. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Just starting John Sanford's "Hidden Prey".

33. Natakel

Natakel Guest

Re-reading "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom" by T. E. Lawrance

Just finished "The Armada" - I think by Garrett Mattingly.

I seem to be on a historical bent of late . . .

34. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

Awesome book!!

~C

35. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I've read pretty much all of his. However, I waited until the Green Mile came out all in one volume so I wouldn't have to wait between segments. I have no patience. :eek:

Currently I'm almost done with Tami Hoag's Alibi Man. Typical Hoag...not bad, not terrific, but definitely something to pass the time and fairly entertaining.

36. HelpMeWithMyMac

HelpMeWithMyMac Private E-2

It has been a while since I didn't visit this forum, so I think it's high time we revived this thread?
    Currently I'm reading The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens. Interesting, but pretty difficult. Sometimes I have to re-read certain passages 2-3 times to understand the full meaning of them.

And what are you reading now?

37. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

38. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

I am trying to read the following books :D

A Scanner Darkly
    See No Evil
    Sleeping with the Devil
    a book on the Crusades and their modern impact

39. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Old thread sorry folks but you know our policy on dragging up old threads, start a new one if needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds