My flash drive don't flash no more!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maryanjo, Dec 15, 2009.

1. maryanjo

maryanjo Private First Class

Hi guys,
    I have a Verbatim 8 gig flash drive which doesn't work. I don't think I have anything on it. In Windows I put it in and it makes the ping sound as it knows theres a storage drive there. When I click on the desktop icon it asks me to insert a disk in it. So it's not recognizing it as a valid drive. There's a little light that's supposed to flash when I insert the drive, but it doesn't come on.
    One thing though is that when I try to access the drive's properties it comes up showing that it's full with no room on it. I don't remember putting anything on it of any great size...
    Has anyone any idea what I can do?

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, maryanjo...

Try right-clicking the drive in My Computer or Windows Explorer, and seeing what items are listed in the context menu...if 'Open as Portable Device' is there, try it...if that doesn't work, try 'Format' (I'd suggest using any defaults, or FAT32)...

3. BRAVEMENHIDE

BRAVEMENHIDE Private E-2

Reformat your flash drive.Remember all info will be lost (this does not seem to happen very often) Just right click on the flash drive icon and use format.:)

4. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I'd suggest just RMA it if you can. All the symptoms you've described point towards a hardware problem, probably the controller--the part of the drive that tells your computer "this is what I am and what I do"--and you can't fix that on your end.

Sorry. :(

Huh? It happens every time you format a storage device.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds