Private Messages.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Eldon, May 17, 2015.

1. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

As I recall, a member needs 50 posts before they can send private messages. Has this restriction been removed? On Friday, 15 May, I received a private message from a member who has only 13 posts. Also, it seems the member only messaged me for help. Why? I don't want anyone messing with my account.
    I'll appreciate it if an Admin or Mod could look into the situation.

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I think something reset somehow.

The 50 is how it should be. I'll see what I can find out. Thanks Eldon.

No one can mess with your account though just by sending you a PM...it's the spam or links within them that you should not click on if it happens again.

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. LauraR

I did see that. I think people will do that if they see someone who posts help responses a lot.

Just delete them if you get anymore as we do not want help being done via private message. Hopefully the PMs will be sorted out.

5. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

It used to happen to me quite a bit, back when I was very active in the Games forum and Hardware forum. It actually got so bad at one point, that I asked for moderator help to add a second line to my forum signature: "Please do not PM me for help. That is what the forums are here for."

It stopped shortly after that, and I removed that request from my signature again. :)

6. LauraR

It happens to those in malware a ton.

I'm not sure if it'll be able to be fixed or not. So for anyone who does get a pm from a new user, just don't click on any links. Just delete or direct them to post.

If you happen to get spam, PM one of us so we can get rid of the spammer.

7. crookedbandit

crookedbandit Sergeant

just hold on a min. I have pm'd a mod because I thought I was in trouble an I haven't posted 50 times .the mod was very helpful . but I didn't send any links or spam.
    so take a "kind" look at the 50 post thing.
    thanks

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Unfortunately, we have to do a little disservice like this to keep the bad guys at bay. We have a ridiculous amount of spammers who try to get in all the time.

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

have we resolved this at all as I thought it was 50 before PM could be sent?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds