blue screen Unmountable Boot Volume STOP: 0x000000ED

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by simonx, Aug 21, 2012.

1. simonx

simonx Private E-2

Help! I have the blue screen of death for UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.
    The STOP codes are: 0x000000ED (0x8ADB2C28,oxC000009C,0x00000000,0x00000000)

The PC is a DELL Dimension 8300 from around 2003, running Windows XP.

We're just back from hols and I downloaded photos from my daughter's camera - she takes way too many - and the process aborted because of lack of disk space, so I copied some older photos to my expansion disk planning to remove that folder from the C: drive.

However whilst using the internet the computer froze (this is an ongoing issue that I confess I have given up spending hours trying to prevent, it is something to do with graphics interfaces - always a risk of freezing when using sites with complicated graphics or big pictures, eg Google images - been happening for years).

As usual I had to reboot but get the blue screen described above, tried safe mode, recovery console, F8, F6 etc. but no joy - tried inserting XP Reinstallation CD for XP (sp 1a) but makes no difference.

As stated above just come back from holiday and started PC for first time in 12 days on Sunday, hadn't rebooted till this issue and there was some sort of Windows update to be installed (I chose not to "reboot now") - thought I ought to mention that in case relevant, though suspect something to do with filling up C:

Any assistance much appreciated :)

Thanks ... Simon
    (currently at work hence computer access).

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

The usual fix for the ED error is a chkdsk on the C: drive. Is this what you tried in recovery console? If not get into recovery console either from the HD or using the installation CD and choosing R for Repair get to the C:\> prompt or the default C:\WINDOWS prompt and try the command: chkdsk /r
    Let it run and then try to boot normally.

3. simonx

simonx Private E-2

thanks Sach - I don't really get anywhere with Recovery Console, tried a couple of CDs today but not get picked up I guess my PC isn't configured to boot from CD.

I press F6 repeatedly to get Recovery Console - if I press F6 again it asks me to insert disk in to drive A: - didn't think I have floppy drive but have just noticed what could be one on the front underneath the CD drives, certainly don't have any floppy disks though.

I I leave there (or don't do the second F6) then get brief msg that Recovery Console is starting, then "Please Wait" and after a while .... same bsod :-(

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  4. sach2

The recovery console on the HD might be corrupted.

You have a Dell operating system disk (XP)? If so, with the disc in the CD drive start the computer and hit F12 during the Dell screen. It should bring up a Boot menu where you can manually select to boot from the CD. Any XP installation disc would do, if you don't have the original Dell one.

5. simonx

simonx Private E-2

F12 worked :)
    Have just entered chkdsk /r

Thanks you.

6. simonx

simonx Private E-2

CHKDSK is checking the volume...
    CHKDSK is performing additional checking or recovery...
    75% completed.
    The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.

C:\>

7. sach2

Go ahead and run it again. See if you still get the unrecoverable error.

8. simonx

simonx Private E-2

tried again - ended saying 61% completed.
    tried again - could've sworn it got up to 75% in fairly short time, then next time I looked it was 50% - worked slowly upto 61% again then failed as before.

9. simonx

simonx Private E-2

anyother chkdsk options to try or I read there is something called fixboot - worth a go perhaps?
    Cheers.

10. sach2

That chkdsk can't complete is not good. Have you tried rebooting without the CD--did you get same unmountable boot volume error?

There is no harm in running the fixboot command from the recovery console. The command is simply fixboot

I've always considered chkdsk the fix for the unmountable boot volume error. Since there are two threads with the same problem, I'll take a look for other repair options but I think it may just be a coincidence and you both have hard drives that are failing.

11. simonx

simonx Private E-2

still get UBV error without CD
    fixboot results

The file system on the startup partition is unknown.
    FIXBOOT is attempting to detect the file system type.

The bootsector is corrupt.
    FIXBOOT is checking the file system type...
    The partition is using the NTFS file system.

FIXBOOT is writing a new boot sector.

The new bootsector was successfully written

C:\>

12. simonx

simonx Private E-2

sill get UBV bsod on reboot without CD
    will try chkdsk again ....

off to my folks for a few days shortly, so will pick up Tue/Wed next week.
    Thanks for all your help Sach.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  13. sach2

Sounds like the bootsector was bad. Try a reboot and see if any change.

Yes, maybe try a chkdsk /p just to see if that completes. (I believe the /p is slightly less intensive and I am curious if it will complete.)

14. simonx

simonx Private E-2

had already started chkdsk /r
    This time saw it switch form 75% completed to 50% completed - strange.
    If no joy will try chkdsk /p

15. BennyZars

BennyZars Private E-2

ok they removed my post.

anyway. if chkdsk /p or chkdsk /r failed to reach 100% in recovery mode then it will fail to fix it and the fixboot will not work.

if the above solution failed, the last option for you is to use Hdd regenerator, install it in other computer, and make a bootable cd from it.

it will repair and regenerate bad sectors of your hard drive. that will make the chkdsk worked in the recovery console.

that will work because that's what i did in my laptop.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds