McDonalds Toys

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by silas, Apr 28, 2010.

1. silas

silas MajorGeek

2. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Pathetic.
    Does that mean they are also going to ban all high suger/fat products from giving away toys?
    Certain cereals?
    Chocolate bars?
    Fizzy Pop like Cock and Pepsi?
    Potato chips?
    Kinder Surprise?
    Candy/sweets that come with trading cards?

It amuses me, governments are concerned about kids eating healthy, as are we all..... so make good foods cheaper.
    Having been given orders from the doc to lower my cholesterol I now have to buy whole grain bread which is more expensive than white, omega 3 eggs which are twice the price of normal eggs, omega 3 margerine again more expensive, the list goes on. I can make bacon and eggs far cheaper than a salad, bacon and eggs for 3 people = $7

Banning toys from MD's isn't going to make kids not want it. The toy is a bonus, it's the food the kids want.
    Actions like this make me sick.

3. silas

silas MajorGeek

I totally agree with you. Eating healthy these days cost much more then the regular unhealthier stuff. Also I think taking the tradition of Mcdonalds away is not good nor going to do any good. Another thing is this may go little weird but some agree and some say no. But Hell when Gov and people say parents are to blame, I blame the Gov. (now heres another dislike from Gov of mine). Now instead of me saying parents 1st then gov. is because.. The Gov and people that run the USA has put as to where we are today. Jobless on many many people(if not jobless cut hours horribly or cut pay). Hell even before the job losses many people could not afford the white house with a white fence we always grow up hearing about that we would get some day. If jobs didnt leave country and we got paid more then we could maybe afford little more. Now we can go to the parents and house issue. Parents can not afford a yard to let the little ones in, and a big thing is Gov also cut out money on many zoo, playgrounds and parks and many of them have shut down...

4. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Welcome the Nanny State.

Big Brother knows what is best for us, you know, as we are unable to make our own decisions about what to eat or feed our families . . . rolleyes

Expect taxes to go up on any foods Uncle Sam deems "bad" for you . . . also, you've been using a bit too much caffeine lately, haven't you? Tsk Tsk

Give me a break. All the problems California is having and THIS is what they spend their time on . . .

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

We have two healthy grandkids 9 and 7 they love MD and Pizza hut but they are so active that they burn the calories off, the 9 year old should be as big as a house because she never stops eating but she's skinny as a rake.
    Don't know if it is the metabolism or just the fact that she is never still.
    I think if it's in the genes they will get big anyway.

I am now 63 and have been a snack freak all my life but untill i had my accident i was a constant 170lb now i am a bit thick around the waist due to being dormant but still not grossly overweight (195lb)

6. silas

silas MajorGeek

More things in the world to worry about then this IMO. I agree there are many big people in the usa but should we go about it with toys? Heck there was a link on MajorGeeks random news area... and it said a person got a cig (fag) in it. But anyways I also agree and think that people are big no matter what sometimes. My mom and her sister and there mother all are same size(bigger) and short. And they got the what I call family no ankles. Just something I believe runs in family.

7. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

I agree that many MacDonalds are not healthy, but it is none of the governments g#@*&#@@!! business as to what parents are feeding their kids. Responsible parents generally save the Happy Meals as a treat or reward. Banning these toys is going to do nothing to change the habits of irresponsible parents in any case. Bad parents can find a million ways to disadvantage their offspring.
    The good news is that the more we see of big government intrusion the more we push back, and that's happening now!
    Where's the next Tea Party rally? :wave:wave

8. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

That's not going to stop people from feeding their kids crap, it's too convenient, people don't have the time or knowledge anymore to do otherwise. The stuff sold in grocery stores isn't any better. Hamburger Helper, I know there's people in my family that buy that :(

9. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

I'm sorry to hear that Darlene, if you need to talk to someone about it, I can spare an ear :-D

10. darlene1029

:-D wise guy
    I realize that may sound trivial but most of my girls are health nuts. One they refer to as witchdoctor. I was at home while they grew up so never bought prepared anything. Couldn't afford it for one.

11. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

See thats it right there, nowadays Darlene it's not only quicker but cheaper to buy tv dinners , prepared meals etc.

Personally like I said above, I think thats more the problem than fast food chains, it's more expensive to eat good food.

12. darlene1029

It's quicker, cheaper and high in carcinogens, then that's multiplied by going into a microwave, in plastic --- want I should go on :confused
    It's all killing us:(

13. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Oh no don't get me wrong, I agree with you 100%, I very rarely buy that stuff, actually I do for myself because I actually like it lol, but my boy has fresh cooked food.
    My point is the government should put a cap on the pricing of this stuff, like I mentioned up top, I buy normal grade A eggs, a dozen $2.29, the ones I have been advised to eat by my doctor are the ones that contain Omega 3, a dozen of those is $4.75.
    Companies cash in on the high quality "Good for you" stuff because of this eating problem going on around the world.

14. darlene1029

I know, the less junk that's added to food the more expensive it is.

Back to McDonalds, don't they have healthy choices now in those kids meals? Like fruit, yogurt, apple sticks instead of fries?
    You can actually just order healthier anyplace you go. Like get a chicken salad instead of a bacon cheese burger.

15. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Yep, they do have those, unfortunately most people are under the impression things like salads are better for you, well this is true until you add the dressing...... then it flips and a big mac is better for you :-D

16. darlene1029

17. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

Or High Fructose Corn Syrup. That stuff is pure evil. Of course when I tell people that, they look at me like I am crazy but they haven't done the research like I have. They don't know that fructose can't be processed by the pancreas (whereas real sugar can there for creating insulin to give us our energy) and therefor must be metabolized by the liver and does not create the insulin our body needs, which leaves one tired and lethargic (and prone to over eating because your body still needs that energy). That HFCS is linked to obesity, contains mercury, and the list goes on..

The corn industry says its fine, it's like sugar, it's from corn, etc. but they are only saying that due to the fact that people are starting to realize the true dangers of HFCS. I've only listed a few bad things about HFCS but I could go on for pages about the dangers (I won't LOL). The thing is it's in everything, from fast food to "healthy" products like cranberry juice. I've been HFCS free for about 9 months (maybe longer) and it's the best choice I've made.

So, until they stop putting preservatives (like HFCS) in everything, taking away the toy from McD's meals will do absolutely nothing to quell childhood obesity.

18. darlene1029

When my kids were babies their formula was canned milk and corn syrup.

19. dyamond

Yes, Darlene but it probably wasn't as processed as it is today.

20. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Dyamond! You are absolutely correct! That HFCS really is evil and all subsidized by your government. Do you know how pervasive corn products are in food these days? By some estimates it's like %50 of our diet!

Then there's meat, cow's are not corn eaters per se but might have eaten it naturally in the late summer or early fall. However, industrious folks fed them corn and said 'Oh wow, look at the weight gain', let's stuff them with corn! Ka-ching! This changed the PH level in their stomachs and lookee here, e. coli 0157 rears it's ugly head.(besides the cows walking ankle deep in their own feces at feed lots.) Almost makes me want to become a vegetarian.

Cows are grass eaters, and what researchers have found that cows given grass to eat for 5 days before slaughter had %99.9 less e. coli 0157. DUH! :mad Just for an extra buck! I'd be willing to pay the extra few cents for that sense of quality and ease of mind. I'll stop here before folks get glassy eyed.;)

21. darlene1029

I wasn't defending it, just an example of why we are all in the shape we're in now days.:(

22. dyamond

Oh I agree, Augie. I am usually willing to pay more for the organic just for the reassurance. I can't tell you how angry I get sometimes when I can't find one bag of rolls, one jar of peanut butter, one jar of applesauce that doesn't contain HFCS or a corn byproduct. I will either do without or (as I have been) learn to make my own if I can't afford organic at that particular time.

I think it's funny that the corn industry is getting really hype, putting out all these silly commercials just because consumers are really starting to become aware of what is actually in their food and not just HFCS either.

Augie, have you seen the show - Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution?

23. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

The guys a hypocritical turd,he goes on about being health conscious then when he does cooking shows in which the main focus isn't health he fills everything with oil,butter and fat.

Taking away the toy in the happy meal is a pretty disgusting example of authoritarian government control so yeah I think its despicable,like has been said whether its a good idea or not isn't the point it isn't or shouldn't be the governments decision.

We get a lot of this kind of stuff over here.

24. darlene1029

More food for thought, there is no guarantee we are actually getting healthy food because someone has labeled it organic.

25. dyamond

That's very true. Good point. I've been trying lately to make everything from scratch but I don't always have the time to do so.

26. augiedoggie

Rikky, as Julia Child always said 'Everything in Moderation'! There's nothing wrong with oil, use butter as a flavour enhancer and I don't know what other 'fat' you're talking about. Beef fat is the worst IMO, pork fat I know has half the cholesterol of butter and poultry fat or 'schmaltz' is even better!

One can't eat fried or fatty foods consistently without weight gain. A balanced life is a good one.

27. darlene1029

Does anyone remember when bacon & eggs and sunshine were healthy ? :(

28. augiedoggie

Hehehe, I do remember that! :) Sunshine and running and playing around outside too! This current culture of TV, games and inet plus the incessant ads to eat eat more are killing our kids. #2 diabetics are the fastest rising chronic illness ever along with early heart disease. I'm not a doctor or even a nutritionist, just a pragmatist.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds