Is this Thermal Paste?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CoolNamesTaken, Jun 24, 2005.

1. CoolNamesTaken

CoolNamesTaken Private E-2

[​IMG]

Is the brown patch on the bottom of the heatsink the thermal paste? It's a stock heatsink that came with my CPU, a 3200 Venice. It doesn't look like it's cut perfectly straight and if I look at it closely, it looks like fine mesh so I'm guessing it is. There was also a semi sturdy plastic cover over it. I don't want to put the heatsink on the CPU without any paste, and I don't want to go buy paste if the heatsink already has some.
    Rob

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Yes it is, and will need replacing every now and then, like every 2 months or so.

Please can an admin edit/remove that pic as it's waaaay too big!

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

I still usually add a very small amount of thermal paste anyway. But, that is pure habit on my part.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Actually, its a thermal pad, and is designed for longer term applications than paste (according to AMD).

It will work fine for stock cooling. Don't plan on overclocking though ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds