building an AMD computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rlgMZA2004, Aug 20, 2004.

1. rlgMZA2004

rlgMZA2004 Private E-2

i've built several pentium computers and now want to build and learn about AMD Athelon and build one for my self. Any advice on where to start?

2. BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey Master Sergeant

Of course, buying the parts.

3. rlgMZA2004

rlgMZA2004 Private E-2

suggestions?

4. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

well how much money you spending? what are you going to be using the computer for? do you need a graphics card for games? how fast do you want it to be? tell us what your looking for out of it and we'll tell you what to put into it

5. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

if you have $$, you'll be building an athlon64 socket 939 computer, with either a 3500+ or a 3800+. If this is your choice, we can discuss motherboard and other options.

if you are looking for more of a budget system, I'd base it on either an AthlonXP 2800+ or 3200+, on a motherboard with an nForce2 chipset. Some good ones are the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, and the Abit NF7.

for either choice, you're going to want at least 512MB of pc3200 or better RAM, from a brand name like Corsair, OCZ, Samsung, Geil or Kingston. If you plan on 512MB, its best to go 2x256MB so you can utilize the Dual Channel feature of the newer chipsets.

6. rlgMZA2004

rlgMZA2004 Private E-2

Well JJJIrish05 i'm spending about $70.00 dollars or more.
    i'm going to play games,music,do my website,chat,but i play mosely high profeionel games like GrandTheftAutoViceCity and HitMan2 and more.
    i have all i need exep the motherboard and the CPU and the memory i've have a graphics card,the computercase,powersuply,the CPU fan,
    my brother knows all to get to have an AMD but i cant fined one realy good .not off of Ebay.com , off of a good website and i want it cheap to arownd like $40.00 dollars like that so if you could help me that will be great :)

7. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

$70 for a motherboard, CPU, and RAM? not gonna happen. More like $250.

and when you say you already have the 'cpu fan', are you sure you have an socket A AMD heatsink?

8. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

$100 could be possible. My friend did his for $100. he got the freebie type ram from office max, got a basic basic motherboard for $50, and CPU for $50. but his goal wasn't to build a good computer, though, it was to build a computer. $250 for a decent computer is more like it.

9. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

ya, if you want to play those games its going to take more then $70, if you want to get the cheapest possible that will still work for your games, figure out what is the most demanding game you own, then look up the minimum requirement, or the requirments for the settings you prefer, then look for a processor that is fast enough, you could get a pretty cheap MB but keep it brand name so you know you wont get screwed by the cheapness, then look for some cheap name brand ram and happy shopping, id suggest pricewatch.com and/or newegg.com for you computer shopping needs

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds