Chipset drivers causing BSOD

Discussion in 'Software' started by fo0t, Dec 10, 2005.

1. fo0t

fo0t Private E-2

Hey there, sorry to bother you guys i've had a big problem the past few days because I think I installed the wrong nforce 4 drivers that I installed less than 4 days ago. You see everything seemed fine after having to uninstall the wrong drivers and stuff in safe mode, but then while i was playing a game with my buds and listening to music I got a bsod, this really scared me and I didn't really take time to read the message because there was a ear piercing sound in my headphones.
    Well now I feel really bad now I tried doing a system restore and that failed. So i've been looking to other options I don't even know if reformatting will help. What i'm really wondering is if my computer is permantly damage, god I hope not it was just some dang drivers I've spent so much time and money and effort saving up for my dream machine only to have it act weird in less than a month, because of a stupid mistake I made I really hope you guys can help me fix the mess I created for myself. I dont even know what driver i'm supposed to get from the nvidia site. Anyway here are my specs. Once again any help would be overly appreciated

Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:
    CPU Type DualCore Intel Pentium D 830, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
    Motherboard Name Dell Dell DXG051
    Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce4
    System Memory 2048 MB
    BIOS Type Phoenix (09/15/05)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)

Display:
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX (256 MB)
    3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX
    Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (130414202)

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter Creative EMU10K2 Audigy / Audigy 2 Audio Processor

Storage:
    IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
    SCSI/RAID Controller NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA RAID Controller
    SCSI/RAID Controller NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA RAID Controller
    Disk Drive Maxtor 7L250S0 (232 GB, IDE)
    Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B (16x/52x DVD-ROM)
    Optical Drive PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8701
    SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
    C: (NTFS) 238362 MB (152487 MB free)

Input:
    Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
    Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller (67.190.1.250)

Peripherals:
    Printer Intuit Internal Printer
    USB1 Controller nVIDIA MCP04 - OHCI USB Controller
    USB2 Controller nVIDIA MCP04 - EHCI USB 2.0 Controller
    USB Device USB Human Interface Device

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi their and welcome, now to a few questions,

What drivers did you install to think you had the wrong ones, basically I'm asking which ones and where did you get them from? a web address or location will do, so we can check.

The error message you got would have helpped narrow the problem down a bit, so if you are still getting it then please write it down.

YOU can be assured that your PC is not perminantly broken, you from what you have said are suffering from a software/driver issue that hopefully we can fix for you and while a re-format and install of the restore cd from dell will indeed get your PC back to the way it originally came, its only a last restort to take that step at this point in time.

as for the chipset driver you have two ways to get them...

1. goto Dell and use your service tag ID to take you directly to the support/downloads page for your PC and choose the nVidia chipset driver from DELL

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...s&releaseid=R103150&formatcnt=1&fileid=133057

2. Goto nVidia and follow these steps.... http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp in the box click Platform nForce Drivers > nForce4 Intel > Windows XP and download the supplied driver. ( nb. so long as you are using WindowsXP 32bit )

3. fo0t

fo0t Private E-2

Hey, I got the drivers from the exact location you gave me and it got the Nforce Intel drivers. Also I have windows media center edition 2005. What confuses me is that the driver your tell me to get is the same driver that crashed my computer and is giving me the Bsods :(

Also I dont have the error message but if you could tell me where to find a log i'll post it for you, sorry.

4. DavidGP

5. fo0t

fo0t Private E-2

Thanks for the reply i'll give it a whirl

6. DavidGP

any logs for error messages can be found in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer ( never used MCE version of XP so it may or may not be in same location )

7. fo0t

fo0t Private E-2

MCE doesnt really change anything in XP it just adds alot more multimedia options. I fixed my problem by going into safe mode uninstalling my old screwed up drivers and installing the nforce 4 x16 ones in normal windows. Then I ran a scan disk after. Thanks for your help! :)

8. fo0t

fo0t Private E-2

Oh i was looking through the event viewer and I was wondering if it was normal to have some errors under system and application also ever since I got my computer is says i've been having an error because nvraid fails to start up. I dont have a raid configuration so I was wondering if this was normal.

9. DavidGP

yes perfectly normal to have "some" errors as applications or some services that you dont have installed eg. RAID, still have as part of some drivers installs certain other options that when called upon try to start but dont as you just dont have the other parts if the software to enable... I have a few forget what they are but they are not crucial.

Also some software can hang/crash... even without you knowing in which XP will try and start them again thus minimising any major BSODs that you may have gotten with the older 9x operating systems.

So is all now working ok?

10. fo0t

fo0t Private E-2

Yeah everything seems to be running smooth. No BSOD's once again I really want to thank you for your help its a whole lot better then talking to Dell support in India and having them suggest I replace my hardrive or some crap lol.

11. DavidGP

No probs and one last thing I would if you havnt already done so, take a quick read of our how to protect yourself against spyware etc as now your running fine I wouldnt want you to end up with spyware or somesuch ;)

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525

any issues you know where we are now ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds