Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vast41, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vast41

Vast41 Private First Class

I am getting this message when i am trying to acess open a file,
    "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item." Somebody told me it's something in my registry can someone please help?

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Need a bit more info. eg, Operating system? What are you trying to access? How? Are you the admin?

3. Vast41

I am running Windows XP, the file i want to open is an exe file, i really don't wanna get to specific with respect to the file.

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Are you the Admin? If not log on as Administrator.

5. Vast41

I am sorry i left that out, i am the administrator, and it used to open as of two weeks ago, and it works on my other machine presently.

6. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

7. Vast41

In the link you sent i am trying to follow it to a tee, i am having trouble accessing the Security tab in my file, i am using XP professional, and the way to show the security tab in properties box is do the following>>"if you're running XP Pro, you must open Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing" But it's not working for me, why?

8. Vast41

Please somebody respond to my posts

9. Vast41

All I am trying to do is open and run an exe file, I get a message saying "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item." So basically I needed to take ownership of the file, so I did the following..."Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
    Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
    Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
    In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
    Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
    You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.

Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.

Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents."

I had trouble finding the security tab You can set permissions
    Only on drives that are formatted to use NTFS, my drive is FAT, so I had to convert. After all this the files still gives me the message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the
    appropriate permission to access the item."
    Somebody please help!!

10. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

11. Vast41

Thanks Steve trying right now.

12. lowan

lowan Private E-2

If the system was working ok recently and now isn't it may have to do with a program you recently installed. You may have some success in resolving the issue with a System Restore to a date prior to when the issue started. To do a system restore click start>all programs>accessories>system tools>system restore and select a bold date prior to when you started having the problem. I also suggest that you create a restore point prior to doing the restore so you can revert back to it if there are any problems.

13. Vast41

Steve the reg Fix did not work, thanks anyways :-(

14. Vast41

I would like to avoid a system restore if i can i am sort of using it as a last resort, the file works on one of my other (lesser) machines.

15. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

16. Vast41

Tried it Steve, no go, it still does not work.

17. Vast41

Chaslang can you help me out sir?

18. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Disable your firewall and try it. Sounds crazy I know.

Steve

19. Vast41

Way ahead of you Steve already tried it :-(

20. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Hopefully you will get some other ideas if you want to put the restore off a little while. At least you have that option. I'll keep checking.

Steve

21. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Hi Vast41
    My 2 cents - as a test , copy the uncooperative file to your My Documents folder and execute it from there. If you get errors then that result might help to narrow down the problem.

22. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I guess you saw that it could be caused by the Gaelicum.A virus and suggested this, http://www.grisoft.com/doc/112/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

You could try it, if it doesn't help and you even think it might be malware related, I would definitely get chas or one of the spyware guy's to help in that forum.

Steve

23. Vast41

Thats intersting Prometheos cause when i tried to copy it it gace me an error saying the following "Cannot copy "file name": Access is denied.
    Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

I can assure you it is not in use, this file i transferred from my other machine where it works perfectly to this machine where it does not. What do you think that means anyone??

24. Vast41

Steve i don't think so it works fine on my other machine.

25. Vast41

I think i am gonna uninstall Zone Alarm, and give it a try.

26. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Did you try the AVG tool?

Steve

27. Vast41

Yes Steve just finished a scan no Gaelicum.A virus was found

28. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Do you have Norton Antivirus on the machine?

Steve

29. Vast41

No sir two Antivirus programs a no-no

30. prometheos

I'm wondering, now, if the file might be broken. Running the CHKDSK utility on the drive with the uncooperative program might disclose some broken file fragments.
    As an alternative you could use:
    1. Double-click the My Computer icon.
    2. Right click on disk drive you want to check then select properities.
    3. Click on Tools tab at top of window then the Check Now button..
    4. Select both boxes to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

31. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

OK. Didn't know what you had, must have missed it. :eek:

I posted a link to a removal tool (Vcleaner) by AVG, did you try it? That was what I was refering to about AVG.

Here is the link again if you need it, http://www.grisoft.com/doc/112/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

Steve

32. Vast41

I tried CHKDSK Prometheos, this morning.

33. Vast41

I will try it Steve thanks.

34. Vast41

Ok Attention ATTENTION!!! I can open the file in safe mode but not in normal mode what does this mean please help!

35. prometheos

Some device or process must be assuming ownership via the registry. Here's a thought. While in safe mode, rename the file so that if it's a registry hack, the "new" name will be unknown when you reboot. Once you've booted, normally, try to execute the program with the "new" name.:)

36. Vast41

Ran C-Cleaner Steve found nothing

37. Vast41

Thanks Prometheos I am gonna try now, it works in safe mode so i am hoping we are close tp resolving this, thanks for you help, i will post very shortly with results.

38. Vast41

Prometheos renamed it still won't work!

39. prometheos

I'm going to pretend that I've got a similar dilemna. Since renaming the file, seemingly rules out the registry as the problem, I'm going to assume that the directory structure is defeating me. I've failed to take ownership, of this file, not because of the attributes of the file, but because of some attributes in the directory tree. Therefore, I'm rebooting to safe mode, so that I can prune the directory that this little monster lives in. So, Vast41, if it was up to me, I'd uninstall/delete this rascal in safe mode, and re-install as administrator to a different directory. :)

40. Vast41

I have Administrative privileges under my account is that ok?

41. Vast41

I am the administrator under this account, but why when I boot into safe mode it has the name of my account (which is administrator) and then an administrator icon so in other words in safe there two administrators whereas in normal mode it is just me?

42. Vast41

Prometheos tried it exactly like you said still no go, thanks.

43. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Right click on the file and choose "Properties" and look to the bottom of the "General" tab. Do you have a Security at the very bottom, under Attributes?

Steve

44. theefool

theefool Geekified

XP home and pro are quite different when it comes to sharing and security.

This issue I have ran into quite frequently in the past. You MUST log into safe mode and Log in with the ADMINISTRATOR account, NOT YOUR NORMAL user account.

With the admin account, you want to right click the file name, then select security or properties. If properties, you will want to use the security tab. Within here you want to make sure that either the user group administrators or your username has FULL CONTROL of this file.

BTW, is this the only file within that directory/folder that is causing this issue?

45. Vast41

Steve not sure what you mean, do you mean do i have a security tab yes, and checked are Full Control,Modify,Read & Execute,Read and Write.

46. Vast41

Theefool great suggestion, i have not tried to take ownership in safe mode under the Administrator account, gonna try this now, thanks.

47. Vast41

Theefool that was a great try i actually got excited, but NO it DID NOT WORK, and yes this is the only file causing this issue. I am starting to think it may be SPYSWEEPER cause i started to mess around with the trial version near or around the time this issue started, i eventually bought it. but i don't know, i am very fustrated at this point.

48. technaut

technaut Private E-2

Access to one file could not, that I know of, be denied by spysweeper, or any virus protection/firewall/etc. program.

If you were able to access the file in question while in safe mode, then the problem is in user accounts - I believe...

49. Vast41

Thanks for your input

50. Vast41

I tried system restore as a last resort, it did not work, would not let me restore. Do i need to repair my registry? I mean the file works in safe mode, so something, is preventing it from working in normal mode i would assume!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds