thepriatebay & isohunt Under attack?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Nosferotuu, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Nosferotuu

Nosferotuu Private E-2

have been trying to use thepriatebay.com and i haven't been able to use it, i heard threw another thread that a "wiki Leek" implied that thepriatebay.com and isohunt.com great sites both of them may be having some legal troubles soon any ways just thought id spread the word

p.s. keep up the great work media and static information Bandits :major

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Yes, they have been in legal trouble for quite a while now. I'm sure the 'Priatebay' is down.:-D They're a bunch of thieves anyways so why would you want to associate with them?

3. Horsey

Horsey Sergeant

That's too bad if The Pirate Bay is gone - the section they had on their replies to big media companies was just hilarious :-D . I can't believe they lasted as long as they did. I know, they are just thieves, but it was nice seeing someone poke fun at big business :cool .

4. Nosferotuu

Nosferotuu Private E-2

I'm not for the thievery but any way to step away from the fascist media system i support and if that is by economic means then i guess so be it, I'm not saying that artist shouldn't get paid, but the media system that is setup now is controlled and benefited economically by a small portion of people. I'm not saying that the system doesn't work its just unbalanced. that's why i like torrent sites also there are people who live in country's that don't even have libraries or movie stores that they can go to so the internet is there only means of outside culture, or how bout the poor inner city kids that cant afford collage books

"torrent sites are not only beneficial but a step towards a system for the people by the people"...

please keep the debate going open to more opinions
    :D

5. Remoc

Remoc Private E-2

This is an age old argument that won't go away anytime soon. Is TPB Really a bunch of thieves ?? If so then you would also have to include Google, Myspace, You Tube and on and on and on.
    TPB is a Hosting Site which allows the P2P Community a place to get Information Files and a few other things. :-D
    Hosting Servers for members to upload files to is a service, Not Thievery. If you or we need to call out the thieves, then that would be the Release Groups, The Scene Groups or anyone else Uploading Copyrighted Material and using the Service that TPB Provides.
    The reason the MPAA and the RIAA go after the Hosting Sites is because they know it would be Impossible to trackdown the said Groups one by one.
    As these Hosting Sites are taken down, there are numerious other sites ready to step in and fill the gap, so untill they can come to an agreement on a Legal File Sharing Program, this will continue to sway from side to side untill the end of time.
    Just my Opinion.

6. JacobBam

JacobBam Private E-2

hi,

This is an age old argument that won't go away anytime soon. Is TPB Really a bunch of thieves ?? If so then you would also have to include Google, Myspace, You Tube and on and on and on.
    TPB is a Hosting Site which allows the P2P Community a place to get Information Files and a few other things.:pThat's too bad if The Pirate Bay is gone - the section they had on their replies to big media companies was just hilarious . I can't believe they lasted as long as they did. I know, they are just thieves, but it was nice seeing someone poke fun at big business .

7. Remoc

Remoc Private E-2

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

There are two sites similarily named (the threads one is a mistype and a live website in same vain as TPB), the one in OPs post is a .com which was offline at date of this thread (remember checking for thread legitimacy), but likely more so they had server or bandwidth issues as its a small search site clone of the original TPB.org, the famous one ends in .org which is still alive and well.

Or they typo'd the wrong sites name in thepriatebay[dot]com

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  9. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I liken hosts to a jar of killer bees. Someone had to put the bees in there, right.. but is the jar to blame for the bees being in there? it could very well hold water, or air.. or other innocuous "items". Blame the person that put the bees in there, not the jar that is just a vessel. Again.. a great idea used for the wrong means.

10. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

The pirate bay.org is alive and well.
    I am in a fortunate position that i can afford to buy the genuine article but there are those who do not have the cash available and this is the reason that P2P exists.
    If some of the big companies lowered there prices to a reasonable level they would attract more people, but the greed factor is uppermost in the bigger software manufacturers.

11. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

DLS my friend you paid for the Hardware of your choice:) Really juicy:drool
    But one can't fault either MS for Win7 or Office. Catch the Hardware vendor/manufacturer.
    I don't understand this or why

Cheers..:-o

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  12. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I personally think you can lay some of the blame at the door of MS.
    I bought Windows 7 ultimate when it was released but having pre-ordered it i got it for half price, so if they can do such a deal for pre-release orders why does it still cost over $300 even now when the prices have fallen drastically?????

13. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

True on the Pre-release price. A marketing strategy, considering the rave reviews on RC and RTM. Probably to get as many geeks to invest in the actual product before on the shelf. Then from word of mouth the product would catch the regular market as well and may be some of the pre-release in advance as well.
    Cheers

14. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Interesting. But, is not deciding that something is to expensive, so you might use theft to get it just another form of greed? :cool

15. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Not sure Fred.
    If prices were reasonable i doubt if P2P would disappear but maybe more people would choose the legal route.

As a post script, I in no way condone theft via the internet.

I was a business man before my accident and i priced my product to what the market would stand, the difference between me and MS is i did not have a virtual monopoly, MS sells windows 7 to the big PC manufacturers at a fraction of the price the public must pay.

16. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

But that is a volume discount. Kinda like the Wally World here. Monopoly, not by my understanding of the word. Nobody is stopping anyone from making another OS, like the Penguin, or the Mac.

Certain stores down in the south sell wine retail and it is the same price as our COST! Funny, the distributer owns that particular wine store. :-D

I miss the HBT. Will leave this at this point. :cool

17. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I completely agree.

UNLESS, the user joined today and is not posting about the subject (except for the first few sentences) and instead posts rambling paranoid conspiracy junk just to start trouble. Then I consider it Spam which should be deleted, which is what I did after doing a search and finding that they have numerous conspiracy posts on other sites.

But yes, otherwise I am in agreement with you dls.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds