Hard Drive replacement? 200+ EventViewer "disk" errors/day..clone 1st?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bee bee, Mar 11, 2009.

1. bee bee

bee bee Private E-2

Hi,

My mom's Desktop Hard Drive is logging 200+ disk errors each day(all bad block or sector). The Dell PC is agonizingly slow on start-up and shut down.

In additon she got the a browser redirect bug, which prompted me to call Verizon tech support. She pays for their support service and my attempts to remove the 'browser redirect' were fruitless. Verizon did there malware removal and system checks, & thankfully the Tech. pointed out the 'disk' errors in EventViewer. Verizon Technician said this usually indicates a hard drive ready to crash at anytime. The PC is 6+yrs old.
    FYI, I'm posting from my notebook because her computer is soooo slow. I can post from mom's desktop if necessary.

I called Dell to get copy of system recovery disks for WinXP (imagine??? my mom not being able to find the CD's that came with her computer...no OS, no Programs...nada:confused ).
    Additionally, I ordered a new western digital hard drive from Dell (80gb IDE, 40pin, 7200rpm, 3.5"). All arrived yesterday.

I have two areas of concern.
    Note:I have never done this before just so ya know, if I don't express myself with right verbiage/terminology. If I should post any portion of this thread elsewhere, please let me know or move it for me.

1.WHAT TYPE OF EXTERNAL HD FOR IMAGE BACK-UP STORAGE:
    This is what I understand. In order to recover the software programs that were installed initially and over 6yrs time on PC, I need to create an image of the failing hard drive and copy to an external HD, all prior to installing the new hard drive. I am not sure what type of external hard drive is best for this task. Do I want to purchase an external HD (for the back-up image storage) that is the exact same size as the failing internal hard drive? Is a particular type of ext. HD better than another?? I ask because I know so many of you have tons of experience with this.
    I hope I can make my way through this process, but I would really appreciate advice on this issue.
    Pointers...instructions...all welcome...let me know if there is error in my thinking.

2.CREATING THE BACK-UP IMAGE OF FAILING HARD DRIVE:
    I have reviewed some of the postings on this subject re: software to accomplish creating the image of failing hard drive and transferring image to the external HD. I looked at MaxBlast 5 which is free, and Acronis True Image. I don't mind spending the money for Acronis (found Acronis $29 if upgraded from Maxtor Maxblast).
    I don't know if MaxBlast 5 will work with a hard drive that isn't a Seagate or Maxtor.
    Since my mother can't find any Program Disks she received with the PC or programs installed over time, I think creating the back-up image of the failing hard drive is the only way to recover her programs.
    I need and hope to receive some guidance from the MG's, "best practice" steps to follow, a preferred Program that will help me with creating the image of the failing hard drive...and transfer to the back-up hard drive.

Oh, I have backed up my mom's "my documents" and "favorites" on my portable HD...just in case the worst case comes to pass and desktop hard drive crashes before I can accomplish any of the above.

-Liz

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If it were me, I'd first burn an image on DVDs or CDs (I use Acronis) of the failing hard drive. After I had the image safe and spent the time to verify it, I'd then clone her old failing hard drive to the newly purchased hard drive. Acronis can do both of these things.

To first image, install Acronis and make a bootable recovery CD.
    Boot the Dell from the recovery CD. It will load the TI program into the computer's RAM. From that, you can make an image by burning the hd to DVDs or CDs.
    Still in the TI loaded in RAM (to me safer than trying to do this from within windows) look over the menu and select verify image. Don't let errors throw you. TI is a bit strange. Sometimes it wants to see the last CD in a set and sometimes it wants to see the first. I just keep trying one or the other until it sees what it is looking for; also, it will shoot up an error when it is done reading one CD/DVD and waiting for the next one. Just put the next one in and click retry and it will start reading again.

When that is done, install the new hd in the computer currently as a slave. Boot up TI again using the recovery CD so it loads the program into RAM and this tell tell it to create a bootable clone. It will take the current master, clone everything to the slave drive. When it's done, exit, and switch the slave to the master position, take out the dying hard drive and boot up the computer. It should boot from the new hard drive.

3. bee bee

bee bee Private E-2

Thank you for your reply. You must have heard me screaming and yelling.

My mom only has a CD-RW drive...hence wanting to use an external hard drive for the interim to save the image.

I don't know off hand how many CD's I will need for burning the image of HD. I'm going to have to give it a shot.

Cross your fingers all goes well.

I'll be hollering at ya again if I get in a jam throughout this process. Hope you're still around to hear me.
    Again, thank you so very much!

4. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

Why not just buy a DVD burner from http://www.newegg.com unless you really can't wait that long.

They're only about $22, many with free shipping and handling

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds