Graphics Card Advice/Opinions Needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShugoTenshi, Aug 16, 2005.

1. ShugoTenshi

ShugoTenshi Private E-2

Hi.

I'm building a new computer and I've been going back and forth on which graphics card I should go with. I've asked a couple of my friends, some prefer GeForce while the others prefer Radeon.

I'm kind of on a budget.
    I shortened the selection to GeForce 6600GT or GeForce 6800GT. Should I just go with the 6600GT and save $140+? Or would 6800GT really be a huge diffence? Or save money and go with 6600GT and then later down the road I could just upgrade if need be?

Also...
    I was thinking of a Radeon x800XL... which the specs seemed to be the equivalent to the 6800GT.

So yeah, any opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you. :)

2. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

yes you will notice a big difference. if your on a budget tho, go with the one that you kno will play the games you love to play the most.

3. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

4. ShugoTenshi

ShugoTenshi Private E-2

:eek:
    Oohhh that is nice to know. I'd really like to get the 6800GT especially for the 256mb. Damn... how long would you think the retailers' price drop will start showing? Hope it's real soon! :eek:

Also, I'd like it to be an all around computer. Gaming, graphics work, etc.

5. lodwoofer

lodwoofer Private E-2

Radeon X800XL gets higher 3dmarks than the 6800, plus its like 150$ cheaper and will perform the same. Even better in Half life 2

6. ShugoTenshi

ShugoTenshi Private E-2

Thanks.
    So then I guess it comes down to which one would prefer. Either nVidia or Radeon? While each may accel in different ways?

Also, I'm seeing both the 6800GT and the x800XL for roughly the same price.

7. askantik

askantik Sergeant

I like ATI, and Half-Life 2 and CS:S (my two current favorite games) are both endorsed by ATI.

I have an MSI X800XL and it rocks. Counter Strike: Source with everything turned all the way up is nice as heck.

8. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

It may not be worth buying the 6800gt or 800xl if the rest of your comp isnt up to spec,unless you have 1gig of ram and a 3000a64 or intel 3.0ghz I think the 6600gt is plenty,the 800xl is also more cpu hungry than the gt's so may be a better buy if you have a lower spec comp :)

9. ShugoTenshi

ShugoTenshi Private E-2

So far the build is going to be:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ or 3500+ (still deciding on the two hehe)
    MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum or Asus A8V motherboard
    1 GB RAM
    etc...

I hope that GeForce price drop that was announced starts showing soon :( I'm beginning to get impatient and might just go 6600GT *sigh* lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds