connected to wireless network but unable to surf etc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by breadbin, Nov 19, 2007.

1. breadbin

breadbin Private E-2

Hi, I can connect to my friends wireless network but the internet won't work i.e. can't find server error message. the statistics box on the connection shows packets sent and received 100's of them so it is communicating. do i need to add a new network connection or anything like that? I am using XP home with SP1 (brand new installation - no malware or anything like that)I suppose I should update to SP2 and maybe IE7? I was using a dial-up connection before and that dialog box came up so i deleted the dial-up connection and still no joy. I know this has been asked before but they have been no help so far. thanks in advance

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

3. breadbin

breadbin Private E-2

i'll try them thanks. hopefully they'll work for me.

4. tharzidun

tharzidun Private E-2

I have the same issue. However, it should be noted that I was troubleshooting Malware when this issue occurred. After running "Counterspy" the virus problem was removed. The next step in this sites tutorial is to run some web-based (I forget the name) software but I am unable to connect with that computer. My internet connection is fine, I can use the wireless laptop no problem and my browser's "home page" is my email account which I am able to sign in, read emails, delete, etc with no problems as well. I simply cannot go to other websites.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds