Update FAIL - As Per TOO Often?!?

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, May 14, 2011.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Been this route before ... never seem to recall how to handle it...likely as I am sick of having to...

Any/all assistance appreciated ~ thanks in advance,
    g...

Attached Files:

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

MS Update is the last place you should get 'updated' hardware drivers from, if you install that graphics card update over drivers from nVidia, you'll probably be taking a backward step! For the others, try them individually from the specific MS download pages.

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I tried (numerous times) to get it from NVIDIA (in fact I think you - or someone here - provided an NVIDIA/Update link for me).

Now, I am not sure what happened (exactly) or what I've done, but rolling-back IE9 and/or some other Windows Updates "seems" to have stopped all the flickering that was going-on with my monitor/screen. However, the monitor won't shut-down now (as it always has, previously) when I go into "Sleep" mode...?

4. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Hi grc123

Updating the Nvidia Graphics driver can be tricky and with the last update for my card,
    it FAILED several times before I got it right. Prior to that I had updated several times
    without incident.

Bear in mind that the prompts I'm listing here are from Windows XP, so yours may be different,
    but I think the process is the same.

First, you need to get the correct driver from Nvidia for your GPU which, judging from your
    image is:
    Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Go to the following page and select Download Drivers:
    http://www.nvidia.com/page/home.html

Then select the following from the individual list boxes:

Save the file to your usual download folder (or create a new folder named Nvidia Drivers with a
    sub-folder named GeForce 6150SE, which is how I do it just for clarity)

Next you need to properly Uninstall the current Graphics driver with Add or Remove Programs.
    Do not use Revo Uninstaller, as I once did.
    If you see a separate entry for the graphics driver, that makes it easier.
    If you see only something for Nvidia DRIVERS, you will have to select the Graphics Driver
    checkbox Only (this is from Windows XP) and then select the box that says something like
    "Remove Only the selected driver".
    If you have other Nvidia drivers, Do Not Uninstall Those!

When the Uninstall has completed, REBOOT.
    During startup you will probably see messages about New Hardware Found and a dialog box
    asking you where Windows should search for a driver.
    Ignore that and just click CANCEL.

Then go back to Add or Remove Programs and select Add New Programs.
    Navigate to the downloaded driver from the Browse button.
    During the install you will be asked where to save the installation files. I just used the
    default location given: C:\Nvidia\DisplayDriver\270.61
    Those files can later be deleted after the completed Install.

To get the 270.61 installation to work, I had to use the Custom Install Option.
    Unless for some reason you need or want the extra stuff, UNCHECK the optional items so that
    Only the driver will be installed. It was the other things that caused the installation to fail.
    There is also a Checkbox for "Perform a clean installation".
    I think it's best to use that option, although it is not checked in the attached image.

When the installation is complete, I like to Reboot even if not prompted to do so.

Hope this gets you up and going with the new driver.

Attached Files:

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Wow...and whoooaaaa. Thank you very much...I will need some time on this, as I have been up ALL night (literally) ... need to get some zzz's right ow, will jump on this asap! Thank you again...

6. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Ok, here is where I'm at, and not exactly "100%" sure which to select here, please?

PS ~ I realize you probably only needed to see the 1st screenshot (Add/Remove), but I included the other two just so we're on the same page, so to speak...

Attached Files:

7. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Select "Remove only the following"

then check ONLY "Nvidia Display Driver"

Hope that clears it up. ;)

Last edited: May 16, 2011

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds