Which MB for a new Build, a 3.4 MOBO or 3.2 Dual Core MOBO

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rik_na, Mar 29, 2007.

1. rik_na

rik_na Sergeant

So which board do you think is better for a new computer build, mostly intended for gaming.

MSI PM8M3-V mobo - Pentium 4 / 3.4GHz [775]
    OR
    Intel P4 64Bit 3.2Ghz + & LGA775 Via Dual Core Mobo

Basically is it worth losing 200Mhz to get a dual core system?

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Not in my opinion.;) Most games (and other software) don't take advantage of Duo Core processors of any type, model or speed from what I have experienced with my 1 year old Toshiba Tecra A7 laptop, and what I have read in relation to gaming. :cry
    I'm not a gamer. I don't mind being corrected on this, by Duo Core users. :D Bazza

===

3. rik_na

rik_na Sergeant

My concern is really whether the full power of dual core processing power is going to be utilised in any useful way in the near future obsoleteing non dual core systems. I know future proofing is a mugs game as the tech will be obsolete even if this happens anytime soon, but I like a running start in the right direction.

4. padams

padams First Sergeant

In my opinion I'd go with the MSI PM8M3-V mobo with the Pentium 4 / 3.4GHz [775]. Of course if I were building a new rig it'd be setup with an AMD processor, but since I'm not I'll get back to the subject. The issue with dual core setups and gaming is that no games don't really take advantage of dual core processors. Where the dual core cpu is gonna help at is multitasking. The cores split the work load in half so you can DO MORE, if you don't get that then you obviously haven't seen an intel commercial in a while. With gaming you'll be fine either route so go with whatever's cheaper. If they're the same price, then go with the dual core.

5. rik_na

rik_na Sergeant

I was thinking along the line of going with the dual core, but I am not sure of the brand, I think it might be a foxconn. mind you I have never used MSI either. The cheaper would be the dual core but not by much.

6. padams

padams First Sergeant

Well another thing to keep in mind is that you're dual core setup will be more upgradeable than the other. Get the cheaper dual core setup. Might want to check it out on newegg or somewhere to see what others are saying about it.

7. rik_na

rik_na Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds