How To Block Adobe Servers with the HOSTS File

Discussion in 'Software' started by stopads, Feb 25, 2009.

1. stopads

stopads Private E-2

Greetings everyone,

I could use some help on how to block adobe servers in my hosts file. I'm new to the hosts file and I need help on how to find out what ip addresses and how to add them to the hosts file. I don't want my adobe acrobat reader pro 9 accessing the internet and downloading updates. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Better way, grab a copy of Startup Monitor http://majorgeeks.com/Startup_Control_Panel_Standalone_Version_d4359.html
    and turn off Adobe Updater and other programs that want to do the same thing.
    You'll go through 4 different tabs, listing everything running at startup. You just uncheck/untick what you don't want and you will not be bothered again. If you change your mind, just go into the Startup Control Panel again and put the check/tick back.

3. stopads

stopads Private E-2

Hi plodr,
    Thanks for your reply. What I'm worried about is that after I turned off the adobe updater and I start adobe acrobat pro 9 that it might silently update to the adobe servers. Better safe than sorry.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It will not do that because startup control panel is preventing the updater from starting up.
    I've managed to tame quicktime, realplayer and webshots in the past. Those three programs always insisted on running at startup.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds