How to control the program loading in the startup at XP Home?

Discussion in 'Software' started by French Horn, Aug 16, 2006.

1. French Horn

French Horn Private E-2

I have a computer with just 256 RAM, but I've heard that there is a way to go into the registry and change the set up for the most used programs that XP loads at startup and that would help me to get some more MB to use when I'm up and running. Anyone how could help me on how to adjust XP?

2. mgpower0

mgpower0 Corporal

On the major geeks home page there is a link under the INFO heading called Black Viper Config. This will tell you how to do what you want. Be careful not to disable too many processes at once as you might find you need one then you will have to try and figure out which one it is. Make sure to read the suggestions fully before just blindly disabling evrything on the list

3. French Horn

French Horn Private E-2

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. Seems to need some reading. But it wasn't exactly what I was thinking about. I can recall going into the registry and changing a number just to control how much capacity XP would use to start up programs that XP thinks that I need to use. since I'm often using them. That feature would just make the program start faster when I'm choosing it.

I'll look into what you have adviced me and try to see what I can get out of it.

4. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

hi, there is also start/run/msconfig,
    hope this helps

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds