Invalid syntax error in IE

Discussion in 'Software' started by CDank3, Apr 30, 2005.

1. CDank3

CDank3 Private E-2

I get an invalid syntax error when browsing. My homepage will come up but when I click on any link or type in any address I get the page cannot be displayed and the title bar says invalid syntax error. I have ran all the steps except the online scanners because I can't get to them.

I am also having some type of security problem all of a sudden. I sent a zip file to that computer and when i got the file from it it told me it had blocked access for security issues. I can't download the ccleaner update it says "ur security settings won't allow" When I got to run and type certain addresses in it will go to the page and browse that page fine but others like majorgeeks won't come up. www.trendmicro.com will come up and www. mozilla.org. Very weird.

2. tux2460

tux2460 Private First Class

will other browsers work on that system? Also, did/do you have a firewall installed on that system? I had a machine where some of the files the firewall needed got corrupted and so it locked down the system but would allow access sometimes then lock it down again. And what OS are you using? (XP Pro, XP home, Win 2000, etc.)

3. CDank3

CDank3 Private E-2

XP pro I can't download any other browsers it won't let me it comes up and says security settings won't let me.

I can get to certain websites though if I go to start and run then type in an address.

4. CDank3

CDank3 Private E-2

Just the XP firewall and I disabled that but nothing changed.

5. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

From IE tools>internet options>security>set to medium.
    Also check for spywares.

6. CDank3

CDank3 Private E-2

Did both of those already no change.

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Reset your web settings:

1. In Windows XP, from the start menu, click Control Panel.

2. From the Control Panel, double-click Internet Options.

3. From the Programs tab, click to select Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default.

4. Click Reset Web Settings.

5. From the Reset Web Settings dialog box, click to clear Also reset my home page, and then click Yes.

6. Click OK. Click Apply, and then click OK.

Steve

8. CDank3

CDank3 Private E-2

Have done that numerous times and it doesn't change anything.

9. CDank3

CDank3 Private E-2

Installed Firefox and it works fine. IE still not working!

10. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

It appears as though you might have acquired a new security update for windows that changes the default actions of IE!!

If you wish...you can read the following link, which is information from microsoft on this issue!!

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;834489

Maybe that is your problem!! Don't know but it is a possibility!!

Roger

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds