lsass.exe System Error

Discussion in 'Software' started by Leepy Lee, May 26, 2008.

1. Leepy Lee

Leepy Lee Private E-2

Hi Guys,

I'm needing a bit of help here please.

I've read the previous posts on this error and it doesn't look good, but we live in hope that someone may know a solution.

Have my sister's Compaq Presario 2500 which has died. Last time it was shutdown, it was working fine. Come to start it up and now, it gets so far then presents a meesage window saying "lsass.exe - System Error. Object name not found."

I've searche the MS knowledge base and followed the instructions to recover this problem, but it doesn't work. I select to start in safe mode with command prompt and it gets as far as showing Safe Mode in each corner of the screen with the OS details top middle, then the same error box appears.

Last known good config also does not start - it just comes up with the same error.

I don't have the original recovery disc that came with the machine but do have my own Win XP original CD.

I guess I could just re-install XP from my disc, but am wary about the licencing implications. More than that, would re-installing XP overwrite all her pics & docs etc. There doesn't seem to be a way of rescuing these files before installing XP.

Any ideas/help greatfully received.

Many thanks.

2. Leepy Lee

Leepy Lee Private E-2

If I re-install XP from my CD...

1, Will it destroy her data files & folders?

2, Will it still be a "legal" machine?

Thanks.

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You can use your XP CD to boot to what is known as the recovery console.

I would first run microsoft check disk from here, this may help if the problem is a missing file.

If not you can do a repair installation from the RC, which will leave the data intact.

However you may not have a recovery CD because the Compaq has the recovery on a separate partition. Read the manual.
    I think you need F12, (might be F11 etc) at boot to get to Compaq recovery options if so.
    This also has a repair (save data) version.

4. Leepy Lee

Leepy Lee Private E-2

Hi,
    Have done a repair installation from the RC. Exactly the same error occurs on startup.

Will try chkdsk & see what happens.

F12 forces the laptop to try and boot from a LAN... which fails of course.

F11 has no effect during startup.

If I use RC to perform a new install, will it overwrite saved docs & pics etc?

Cheers,

Lee

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

A 'repair installation' leaves the data intact.

However I misspoke when I said you can do a repair installation from the recovery console. You do this at the second page of the normal windows setup installation from the CD.

At the first page you get a choice of install (press enter) or repair (recovery console press r)
    At the second page you get a choice of full (press enter) or repair (press r) installation

You can use the RC to effect certain repairs including replacing lsass.exe, if it is indeed missing.

You can also use the RC to run check disk.

typein

chkdsk /r

at the > command prompt.

You should also bear in mind that problems with Lsass.exe may be due to the infamous 'Sasser Virus' so should head over to the malware section, once you get control of the pc.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds