Computer randomly freezes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by beer2337, Apr 13, 2007.

1. beer2337

beer2337 Private E-2

Hi, I'm not sure if this is in the correct place. My friend doesn't take very good care of his computer and is constantly asking for my help with it. For the most part I have been able to fix his system with help from this site. Unfortunately, his computer is really messed up now and I can't even localize the problem.

His computer just stops working. There is no particular program or event which sets it off. The screen locks up, the keyboard and mouse don't function. The computer itself is still on as I can see a light and here the power supply fan. Reseting fixes the problem for some amount of time. The computer can freeze after 10 minutes or 10 hours. 1 more odd behavior has to do with his computer accessing a wireless network. This computer has a wireless adapter which plugs into a USB port. On startup the computer may connect and other times I have to unplug the plug back in the adapter before it connects.

Ok, so I followed all the malware steps and am pretty sure he doesn't have a software problem. He did have a couple viruses but no spyware. I downloaded a temperature tester, a HD tester from Seagate, a MEM (microsoft beta)tester and all the test seemed to run fine. At this point I can't think of anything else to do. Any ideas?

thanks,

Scott

2. Valhallis

Valhallis Private First Class

Gotta love those rock solid freezeups! :D

In my experience its either a heat issue or CPU/motherboard. Open the case and verify fans are all still working. If its really dusty, blow it out. While you're in there, have a look at the mobo and check for burst capacitors (i've had this be the culprit a few times).

From a software standpoint you can check the error logs (although if its freezing, corresponding errors might not show up). You can see if the issue reoccurs in safe mode as well. If it does, the problem is likely not software related.

Good luck!

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I would check out the wireless adaptor- are the keyboard and mouse wireless ?
    Has the keyboard got batteries?

4. beer2337

beer2337 Private E-2

Wireless keyboard and mouse. I assume the keyboard has batteries. They are from microsoft I believe and there is something besides the keyboard and mouse, which is a little round device that appears to send signals to the other devices? Well, I can look at it closer when I get there, but does this help?

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Try new batteries.

my favourite quote
    Sometimes the obvious eludes us:duck

6. beer2337

beer2337 Private E-2

Hi, alright I checked the fans and they are running fine. Also according to the temperature tester I downloaded, the processor isn't getting too hot. I look for anything wrong with the motherboard and I didn't find anything... could a blown capacitor be missed by an untrained eye? Now here is the interesting thing, I booted in safe mode and let the computer go for 10 hours without any problems! The computer is capable of running for that long in normal mode but it is highly unlikely. What steps should I take at this point?

Thanks again,

Scott

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Obviously the batteries were o.k
    The fans- o.k
    Not dusty/fluff inside.
    Have you checked the error logs ?
    Refresh your access to it -Right click My Computer, click manage, System tools, event viewer, Applications.
    Let us know any error messages (double click on exclamation to error)

8. beer2337

beer2337 Private E-2

Batteries are ok sorry I forgot to mention it. Computer still hasn't froze up since last post and is now in normal mode. 2 things are different: I have the case lying on its side, and I moved a couple wires away from the hard drive. The HD felt a bit warm so I shifted the wires over by an inch or so.

There are errors:

2 application errors. This is firefox 2.0.0.3 which froze. I was playing chess on Yahoo! and I got an error about flash running to slowly.

Application hang wlan111t.exe. This is a program from Netgear which identifies his wireless adapter and helps connect to his wireless network. Since I have been working on this computer that program has failed to load and connect. I have the latest version from the Netgear site.

There was a google earth hang too but I wasn't here to experience that 1. I update to the recent version posted at the MajorGeeks homepage and ran the application for a bit without any problem.

Besides that there are some warnings about the registry and memory having to be unloaded when something is done with it.

I would be nice to know why firefox is having trouble. Let me know if I can get more information for you.

thanks,

Scott

9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If it happens again with Firefox, look for add ins, and try disabling one at a time, to see if that cures it.Add ins can cause problems, and often do in Explorer.
    Not freeing memory usually refers to a program you are /have run, that has not properly shut itself down - if the computer shuts down, again - when resetting/rebooting check the error report straight away, and if it is the same, try uninstalling and reinstalling the last program that you were using, immediately before it crashed.
    Reference to wlan111t.exe, - possibility of a , faulty file,or, even virus, is made here ( but check at our Malware removal pages, - Preferably.)
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/wlan111t/

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  10. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

It may simply be easiest to uninstall the Netgear program, and re-install.

11. beer2337

beer2337 Private E-2

All add-ins are off of Firefox. I have reinstalled the Netgear program and I decided to allow Netgear to do the wireless connection work instead of Windows.

So check this out, the computer was running perfectly for quite some time. My friend gets home and says "Have you restarted yet? No, I haven't why? Well the computer freezes more often just after restart, especially if you don't run anything and let it sit. LOL, sure" I restarted and let the thing sit and bam! Froze just like before. No errors reported in the log and only programs that run on start up were active. While the computer was frozen all fans were on... I am now going to try and reproduce this in safe mode.

12. beer2337

beer2337 Private E-2

I can't get the computer to freeze in safe mode.

13. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Try display properties, screensaver, go down to power - set all to never.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  14. beer2337

beer2337 Private E-2

2 out of 3 are set to never. 3rd was is set for turn off monitor after 45 minutes. I'll turn that 1 off and see if I can get it to freeze. I am starting to feel that the problem is with the wireless network though. If I shut the system down, wait, and then boot up everything loads fine, but if the computer freezes or occasionally when it doesn't, a restart will rarely bring up the wireless network icon (the one with a computer and 3 curved lines on its right). I have to unplug and replug in the device to get it to show up.

15. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

From looking around, the Wireless Network feature would seem to be 'buggy'.
    -so, that could be your next avenue, as I seem to think I remember you being able to start in safe mode, with, or, without network - Try in safe mode, enabling network, and see if it freezes.

16. beer2337

beer2337 Private E-2

It still freezes after setting everything to never. I'd like to clarify that the computer will freeze with normal use, even though it is more likely to freeze when idle. I have tried booting is safe mode with networking but I can't connect to the internet. This computer won't connect unless the Netgear icon and the wireless icon appear in the tray. In safe mode nothing appears in the tray and if I try and run the netgear program, it pops up for a split second then disappears like I never tried to open it. Is there a way to get that wireless icon to appear? I have spent time looking for it but can't seem to find it anywhere and have to hope it shows up automatically.

17. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

You say you unplug the adaptor- I assume you mean by the usb connection ?, or, the mains?
    If it is from the usb connection, then it is worth checking that motherboard drivers are up to date, in case it needs a later driver for the motherboard usb ports. Is the motherboard Bios very old, and is there an update ?
    Also when disconnecting from the usb port, did you use the remove hardware wizard ? - if not this can sometimes cause damage .:guns

Valhallis quoted:
    Gotta love those rock solid freezeups!

In my experience its either a heat issue or CPU/motherboard. Open the case and verify fans are all still working. If its really dusty, blow it out. While you're in there, have a look at the mobo and check for burst capacitors (i've had this be the culprit a few times) end quote.

This can happen, but is beyond the layman to fix.:p

18. beer2337

beer2337 Private E-2

Yes I mean the adapter. It is basically a double sided USB wire which plugs into the computer's front USB port and plugs into the adapter. My friend's motherboard is a Biostar M7VIQ and he has never updated it. I have been to the site but honestly I don't really know what I am looking at and I'm a bit nervous about messing with the motherboard. Can you take a look at it for me and give me some advice please? I'd like to know what is safe and useful to get. http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/mainboard/board.php?name=M7VIQ. As for the removing hardware question. When I uninstalled the program, it said it was safe for me to unplug the device. However, when the computer froze and then would not connect to the wireless network, I simply unplugged the adapter then plugged it back in without using any wizards.

19. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

First of all if you have not got it, download Everest 220 from
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

This will tell you what driver version you have installed
    Then, if your drivers are older, You can safely download updated drivers from here- they all appear to be zip files which can be unzipped once off-line, and virus program is best disabled when installing.
    http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/driver/model.php3?name=M7VIQ

Also download the manual, it is always helpful- top right of page.

Leave the bios for now, and you might need to be securely connected to do anything with that, and have a little more guidance.

20. beer2337

beer2337 Private E-2

That's a pretty cool program. I updated everything and I'll get back with a freezing report.

21. beer2337

beer2337 Private E-2

Still freezing :(. I did discover something about the Netgear adapter though. When I shut the computer down the adapter shuts off too. Then after booting up the adapter turns back on just before windows starts. However, when I reset the computer after the "freezing" the adapter stays on. For some reason this confuses the wireless connection and it never starts. I assume the computer thinks it is already connected and therefore doesn't launch the program.

22. beer2337

beer2337 Private E-2

This discovery about the Netgear not connecting has me thinking about the nature of the freezing. I am starting to believe that the computer isn't exactly freezing. When I restart from this supposed freeze, the computer does not fully power down and then reboot. It sort of reboots without powering down. Isn't that odd? Perhaps it is another behavior with similar symptoms to a freeze?

23. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Try removing the Netgear , completely, and see if the crashes stop- as the obvious culprit appears to be the Netgear. Unplug it , and uninstall.- You may not be able to get on the net, but at least it will be eliminated from the equation.
    .Check the Bios date, and version , of the computer in Everest.
    Before going beyond this, I have to warn you that updating the Bios, although easy enough for those who have done it, can make the motherboard into scrap, if it goes wrong - and if you decide to do that , you do it at your own risk.
    I can accept absolutely no responsability, nor, will anyone else.

24. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

25. rik_na

rik_na Sergeant

Yup, in my experience it is the CPU/mobo although a million and one other things could be the cause.

26. beer2337

beer2337 Private E-2

It will be a few days before I can look at it again. Let's assume that uninstalling Netgear doesn't solve the problem. I'll open the PC again and check the capacitors now that I have a better idea what to look for. And then let's say the capacitors are ok. Any suggestions if I get to that point?

27. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I believe Vallhallis will agree -Let us know what happens
    When not using Netgear for a long enough time.
    If capacitors show to be swollen, as described by the link.

28. Valhallis

Valhallis Private First Class

Back to check up on this thread. Have you had another chance to check the board?

29. beer2337

beer2337 Private E-2

Sorry not yet. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to see it this weekend.

30. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Just a little extra on the Netgear.
    Is it the Netgear WG511 ?
    If so it has been giving problems, from scouring around, I see many references to it.
    If so a driver change, not the updated one, might just do the trick.
    You will get a warning that it is not the correct driver, but apparently, it has been found to fix the WG511 FREEZING PROBLEM.
    latest Atheros drivers -------AWLC4030 Driver vAtheros_4.1.2.71

31. beer2337

beer2337 Private E-2

Hi, finally got a chance to check out the computer. All of the capacitors look fine. The product is a NetGear WG111T. I'll uninstall the netgear and see if I can reproduce the error today.

32. tmiller67

tmiller67 Private E-2

Check here, this is an old article but maybe it will give some ideas on this point.:cool

http://news.com.com/PCs+plagued+by+bad+capacitors/2100-1041_3-5942647.html

33. beer2337

beer2337 Private E-2

Thanks for the link. I am fairly certain that the capacitors are fine at this point. Here is another twist to this bizarre "freezing". My friend claims that if he runs Bodog poker that the computer never freezes. I have never had it freeze with that program running either. I'll get the the Netgear later and report back.

34. beer2337

beer2337 Private E-2

I decided not to mess with the Netgear since the Bodog Poker program fixes the problem. Any ideas what that means?

35. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Bodog poker --From what I can see, it seems to enable Javascript , and uses Flash Player 8 or higher .

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds