changing default email in IE7

Discussion in 'Software' started by hoobie, May 24, 2007.

1. hoobie

hoobie Private E-2

My default email in IE7 was hotmail until recently, confusedbut for some reason it has changed to Outlook, which I never use. I went to Tools/Internet Options/Programs to change it back to hotmail, as I have done in the past when this has happened, but now there are only three choices: Outlook, Outlook express, & Windows Live Mail. Is there any way to change this to another email program? Does IE7 really not allow users of other mail providers to have a default for non-Microsoft accounts, or even their own Hotmail?

This renders unusuable the feature that allows you to click a web site "contact" and have it open your email, and it also makes my email hot key on my new keyboard useless. Seems like there must be a way around it.

2. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

Are you talking about the hotkey like on a notebook?

If so this will open your default mail program. To change this you right click on Start, then click Properties, then the Start Menu tab, now click on Customise, here you can change your default E-Mail program.

I may be wrong but Hotmail dosent have its own program, so youy wont be able to use it in this way. Unless you use Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird, and set it up to receive POP mail.

If I have got the wrong end of the stick here I am sorry as I dont use IE7, but i think I get the gist of what you are saying?

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  3. hoobie

hoobie Private E-2

Thanks. Following your directions, in Windows XP, I attempted to change the email default via the Start Menu and it too only allows the choice of the same three Microsoft related programs that IE7 offered. It's not possible to highlight the box and type in a different program. It seems that both Windows XP and IE7 want to steer you toward outlook and windows live mail and inconvenience everyone else. It's odd, considering hotmail is microsoft too, you'd think they at least allow that. What I dont' get is that up until recently Hotmail was an option. A recent update must have changed this.

4. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

No you are getting the wrong idea about things i think.

You see Outlook and other programs like that, are not email servers. They are used to collect your mail from MSN, Yahoo or wherever. Im not sure if Hotmail has POP mail, someone else will have to jump in here. But if it does, all your mail will goto Outlook when you load it.

You can also use a different program if you wish like Mozilla Thunderbird. And you can have several email addys, they will all be collected and put in your inbox in the program for you.

Someone else will have to tell you if hotmail has POP and how to set it up as I do not use it. But I hope this clears up a few of your questions. ;)

5. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

When I click on an email address on a webpage, how do I get it to open a new email to send in my Gmail account?
    currently my windows XP, IE7 will open a new outlook email and fill in the subject line and email address , how can I make it do that, but to a gmail email?

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I think you really should have started a new topic but I'll post a reply to you here.

If you set your Gmail account to work as a POP mail account and then setup your Gmail account in Outlook (or some other email client installed on your computer), then those email links will work the way you want.

7. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

Dr. Julius Hibbert: Homer, I'm afraid you'll have to undergo a coronary bypass operation.
    Homer Simpson: Say it in English, Doc!
    Dr. Julius Hibbert: You're going to need open-heart surgery.
    Homer Simpson: Spare me your medical mumbo jumbo!
    Dr. Julius Hibbert: We're going to cut you open and tinker with your ticker.
    Homer Simpson: Could you dumb it down a shade?

you make it seem so easy, I have no idea how to get gmail to work as a POPclient, or what the heck a POP client is
    could you dumb the steps down a shade?
    Thanks!

8. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

LOL OK, ... more detail. By email client, I simply mean software installed on your computer to send and receive email. You have Outlook, so that’s one option. If you use Windows XP, you also have the option of using Outlook Express; with Windows Vista, you have Windows Mail. And, there are others, available by downloading.

Email can basically be handled in two ways. One way is to use a web-based email service such as Yahoo, Hotmail, or Gmail, or it could be web access to your ISP's email service. In other words, you access your email account via web browser. The email remains on a mail server; it is not downloaded to your computer.

The other way is by using an email client and downloading the mail to your computer. The messages are saved to your hard drive and be accessed even if you are offline, i.e. not connected to the Internet. Most email handled this way fall under Post Office Protocol, or POP, specifically POP3.

I would guess the majority of Gmail users access it via web browser. But, Gmail can be done the other way, by downloading it to your computer, to your email client. To do this, you need to 1) enable POP in your Gmail account settings and 2) setup your Gmail account in your email client.

To enable POP in your Gmail account settings, see Enabling POP.

To set up your Gmail account in your email client, see Supported POP client list

9. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

huh?
    I am not familar with POP or supported POP and don't really understand even how email is sent through wires?

I am not trying to download anything to anything, I simply want to click a email address on the internet and have my GMAIL open a email for me to send, the same way it does not in OUTLOOK 6.0?
    could you just put the steps in numerical order so I don't have to try to guess how to reconfigure my GMail forwad/POP/IMAP settings?
    this stuff is obviously out of my area and easily within yours... please? thanks!!

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

11. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

12. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

Note: This hack involves editing your Windows registry which could cause serious problems if your not sure of what you are doing. To be on the safe side you should create a System Restore point before attempting.

I turned on my computer, it turned on and the desktop background came up,, then it stopped.
    So I turned it off, waited 2 minutes, turned it on and it worked.

When an expert warns you, you pay attention to warnings like what s/he says.

Thanks for understanding my lack of experience with computers, I would just use a pen/paper, but I can't write worth shit and the nudie pics look wierd with the lines running through them.
    So is there a less risky way to make the changes to my default email?

13. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

The terms download and upload just indicate data transmission between computers. Obviously, you're downloading data to your computer when you view websites. In that case, the data generally remains on your computer on temporary basis. On the other hand, if you download software or a PDF document or music, you're usually obtaining that for permenent or long-term use.

I think my previous explanation of webmail vs. POP mail was well-written. And, the step-by-step instructions are provided in the references I posted. I see no reason to make the effort to provide step-by-step instructions here when such information is readily available in the sources I cited.

14. plodr

Where does this say you need to edit the registry?
    ? I figured it was pretty straightforward, changing through the Control Panel and then clicking on the Start Menu and selecting the program defaults (that's what it is in 2K; I suspect Customize is the XP wording. I don't run XP so I can not check).

15. plodr

Thanks. I did not know that. Hopefully, I'll remember this the next time someone asks.

16. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

can you explain how I configure Gmail in outlook?
    Right now when I click on an email link in my IE7, a blank email pops up in OUTLOOK with the subject line and address filled out.
    how do I make that become a Gmail email?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds