Can't set JPG image as wallpaper inWinXP

Discussion in 'Software' started by coolguy, Nov 8, 2003.

1. coolguy

coolguy Private E-2

WinXP displays even *.jpg images as wallpapers. Strangely I am unable to set a jpg image as one. When I try to,, I get the error message of 'rundll32 causing an error in mshtml.dll file'. I have no idea what it means.

I even tried restoring my system to an earlier state, still the problem remains.

Win98 used to have a utility to extract original files from the cab files to replace any altered ones. Is it possible to do this in WinXP Pro? If yes, how should I go about doing it?

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Cabs for XP>

Description and Explanation of a Cabinet File
    Applies To
    This article was previously published under Q310435
    SUMMARY
    This article describes cabinet (.cab) files.
    MORE INFORMATION
    Cabinet files are compressed packages that contain a number of related files. The format of a cabinet file is optimized for maximum compression. Cabinet files on the Windows XP compact disc (CD) contains the actual Windows files.

You can extract individual files from the cabinet files to replace missing or corrupted files. To extract information from a .cab file in Windows XP:
    Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type msconfig, and then click OK.
    Click Expand File.
    In the File to restore box, type the name of the file that you want to restore.
    In the Restore from box, type the path to the Windows XP .cab file from which you want to restore the file, or click Browse From to locate the Windows XP .cab file.

NOTE: The Windows XP .cab files are stored in the I386 folder on the Windows XP compact disc (CD).
    In the Save file in box, type the path to which you want the new file extracted, or click Browse To to locate the folder that you want.
    Click Expand.
    In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click OK. If you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.
    The information in this article applies to:
    Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition; pro: home.

Microsoft

With the jpg save it as a bmp & see how that goes.

3. coolguy

coolguy Private E-2

Well, the 'Expand File' command hasn't worked. The problem remains.

I am attaching the error message that appears. Maybe this will explain my problem better.

I can always convert jpg files to bmp and use them as wallpaper. But the issue is why am I unable to set jpg files as wallpaper if the facility is there?

Attached Files:

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

couple of things I would try first..

run ad-aware and clean your system of spyware
    update your video drivers

try those and report back.

5. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

By the numbers men:

1) Open your .jpg file with Photoshop or some other program.
    2) Resize it to your desktop size (1024 x 768 , 800 X 600 or whatever)
    3) Save it under a different name at
    C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper
    4) Close the picture editing program and any others.
    5) Right click on your desktop
    6) Select Properties
    7) Click on the Desktop tab at the top
    8) Selece your saved picture with a single click
    9) Click the apply button - the desktop should change now
    10) close all windows
    11) Post here success or failure, if failure what step number and the error

6. coolguy

coolguy Private E-2

Kodo, I ran SpyBot and cleaned my system. I also reinstalled Forceware52.16 drivers but no change in the error.

DOA, I did everything step-by-step as you suggested but still no luck. Still get the same error as before.

Would reinstalling WinXP Pro + SP1 over my existing installation help solve this problem?

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

before you do that.
    do you have the latest patches for IE.. if you do, then I'll email you the mshtml file and you can replace it with mine. Then test it.

8. coolguy

coolguy Private E-2

I haven't applied any patches after SP1. Maybe 1 or 2 but certainly not all the latest patches.

9. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

install all the latest IE patches... it's a good idea.

10. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

If the patches do not work, post which step failed. I am assuming the last when you click apply button for now.
    Does it happen with all your destop wallpaper files or just the one you are trying to set now?
    Have you ever installed an XP theme program?

11. coolguy

coolguy Private E-2

I don't think its possible for me to download all IE patches (limitations of bandwidth and usage charges). Also even in the existing state my system was working perfectly.

Only after I installed Blaze Media Pro and CDH Media Wizard (trial versions) that this problem started. I immediately uninstalled them but to no avail.

When I click on any jpg file name in the 'Display' properties, I do not get a preview in the small window above and windows just comes out of 'Display Properties'. Sometimes I get the attached error message. This happens with all jpg images in c:\windows\web\wallpaper folder. BMP's are displayed fine.

I ask again, will reinstalling not solve this problem?

12. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

probably, but instead of doing that I'd run the SFC and see if that works.

13. coolguy

coolguy Private E-2

I didn't find SFC in WinXP. There is a 'File Signature Verification Utility' but it only checks if the system files are digitally signed. I already replaced the mshtml.dll file using 'Expand File' from within 'msconfig'. But it hasn't helped.

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Just a little thing. For you guys that reccomend expanding a file?

Please, please check with technet to find out what the latest version of the file is.

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...com/servicedesks/fileversion/dllinfo.asp&fp=1

This shows mshtml.dll was updated in Sp1/Sp1a.

Unless his CD is slipstreamed, if he expands it from the CD, he will be putting in a mismatched version. this can lead to more serious issues than he already has.

The correct path would be a direct copy from

C:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386.

Provided he installed Sp1 after installing XP.

Also, when you expand a dll, sometimes you have to register them. This is one of those cases.

start-run, regsvr32 mshtml.dll, then click ok.

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Try regsvr32 mshtml.dll from a run prompt.

Also check the version of mshtml.dll you expanded.

Make sure it is v. 6.0.2800.1106, if you have windows xp sp1 OR Internet explorer 6 sp1.

I am also curious. If you save a jpg from the net via IE, does it give you the option to save it as a jpg, or just bmp?

16. StratCat

StratCat Private E-2

Um

One thing no one else has mentioned.

If you have a tweaking tool that will not allow you to make changes to active desktop and you have asctive desktop off then it will not allow you to use a jpg as wallpaper if active desktop is off

17. coolguy

coolguy Private E-2

Guys,

I ran the command 'regsvr32 mshtml.dll' from a run prompt.

I also enabled 'active desktop' form the group policy editor.

The mshtml.dll file is proper version i.e. 6.0.2800.1106.

I can save a jpg file from the net as jpg. Though sometimes I have to save them as bmp's.

Nothing has worked!

What if I just reinstall the SP1 of WinXP? Will that solve this problem?

18. coolguy

coolguy Private E-2

Even reinstalling SP1 has not helped. Maybe I should just format my drive and do a fresh installation.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds