Sharing printer question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tater, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Tater

Tater Tot

Hi,
    I have 2 P.C.'s ( one Xp home and one 98) networked on a linksys router. Everythings been fine for a couple of years, but due to space problems, I want to share a printer that is hooked up to the 98 puter. I've searched the forums here and tried a few things, but no luck. After trying to add a printer in the control panel as per HP's instructions, the printer is supposed to show up on the shared printer list in the "Add printer wizard". The only thing the search shows on the list is "Microsoft Windows Network". Any tips?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2003
  2. Ryanwb

Ryanwb Private E-2

First off, you need to share the printer on the host computer.

Then go into the add printer screen and add a network printer. When the Microsoft network printer thing comes up, it should be a "tree", double click on it and it will go out and look for shared printers.

Or you can do a \\computername\sharname at the part where it asks for it.

Sorry if this is confusing.

3. Tater

Tater Tot

I did hit share printer on the Win98 machine, but when I hit add printer on the XPhome P.C., the only thing on the list is Microsoft Windows network. There is no tree.

4. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

5. iamien

iamien Cptn "Eh!"

Ok, in same situation only i know what t do :D
    Firstly on hte 98 go to start control pannel network file and printer sharing
    Tick off the second choice..
    NOw go to control pannel printers then share you printer.
    after that in the XP computer start printers and faxes, add printer. network printer.

6. Tater

Tater Tot

Cool, thanks for the answers guys. Gonna try em tommorow and post results.

7. Tater

Tater Tot

Lamien,
    I've done everything you've said, but when I try to add printer on the XP machine the only thing on the list is "Microsoft Shared Network". There is no printer listed to choose from. Any idea why it WILL NOT show up on the list?

8. iamien

iamien Cptn "Eh!"

did you double click on that?
    and yoiu are in Set up a networked printer?
    my XP machien is curently down, need to reinstall xp. i'll make some detailed instructions when i can.,
    Until then make sure printer is on and connected to windows 98 PC.
    also have you set up a network between the two PCs, or not. if not your gona have too

9. Tater

Tater Tot

I am in Ctrl panel/printersand faxes/Add printer which brings up the add printer wizard. When I hit search for a networked printer, all that shows up on the list is "Microsoft Shared Network" There IS NO PRINTER on the list to add. Yes, the PC's are networked together with a linksys router and share an internet connection and allow printer sharing is enabled on bothg P.C.'s. Do certain ports need to be opened? I'm ready to give up.

10. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

What network protocols are you using on WinXP and Win98 ?
    Have you enabled netbios for TCPIP on both of them ?
    Can you access/see shares both ways ?

11. Tater

Tater Tot

Not sure Snake. That's a little over my head. How can I check that?

12. Tater

Tater Tot

How can I close this thread? I'm going out of town. This is very frustrating and I give up.

13. King

King Private E-2

1. Find the names of both your computers:
    a. 1. Win98: start ->settings ->control panel
    2. double-click 'network'
    3. click the tab on top called 'Identification'
    4. write down 'computer name' (I'll assume it's named Win98pc, when you see 'Win98pc' just substitute with whatever your computer is called.

b. 1. WinXP:Hold down Windows key (the one with the flag) and tap pause/break (should be on upper right of keyboard)
    2. Look for the 'Computer Name' tab near the top and click on it
    3. Look for 'full computer name' and write it down (again, I'll assume it's WinXPpc, just like above)

2. go to the WinXPpc and click Start -> Run
    3. a box should appear, type in the box '\\Win98pc' (Without the quotes)(and yes, that's 2 backslashes ( \ ) before the name) and hit enter or click 'ok'
    4. now 1 of 2 things will happen:
    a. A window opens with the printer inside, then Rt-click the printer and click connect, point to the driver and you're all set.
    b. an error occurs saying network path not found.

If b above happens, it's a protocol problem, like Snake said, and let us know and we'll tackle that 1. If your even still interested.

14. Tater

Tater Tot

Thanks for the idea King, but when I hold the windows key and then tap pause, nothing happens. Any other ideas?

15. Tater

Tater Tot

Holy crap,
    The windows/pause thing never worked, but I started from scratch (re-installed printer) and followed Kings directions and it works. Thanks a lot for the help guys, I was about ready to snap.

16. King

King Private E-2

Sorry, Rt-Click 'My Computer' and Click 'Properties' will get you to that same place, for future reference.

Glad to hear it works.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds