NTLDR is missing...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bagged92sdime, Jan 2, 2006.

1. bagged92sdime

bagged92sdime Private E-2

ok..i just installed a new maxtor hdd on my comp...i have a msi k7n2g board...i dunno what settings to change to fix this error...my bro couldnt fix it and i cant figure it out either... i have the hdd set as primary master...i have 1 cdrom drive installed, but i dont have a floppy drive...any ideas???

Thanx,
    Joe

2. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

Well logic would tell me that you first need to format the HDD and install Windows (or whichever O/S you might be using).
    To do this you need to make sure you can boot from your CD drive. Go into the BIOS (press DEL or F2 at startup) and go into the boot device section. Make sure CD drive is listed as numero uno.
    Insert your Windows CD (or whichever O/S you might be using) and boot up your PC. When prompted, press any key to boot from CD. From there, follow the instructions for formatting/installing.

3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

This is a common problem, and a search in the software forum would have yielded the answer, but try the following suggestions HERE.

4. bagged92sdime

ok..well, ive been playing w/ it and i finally got it to where it regocnizes the windows cd...i had the crdrom as boot1 all along and hdd-0 as second boot device...well, it gets into inspecting setting etc, and now its giving me this error... "An unexpected error (268400258) occured at line 1768 in d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\arcdisp.c. Press any key to continue." i searched the web, but i didnt find anything...whats going on here??? ive used this disk before on my other comp, but ive never had any problems at all...help!!!

5. Insomniac

Is your hardware compatible with XP?

What does the Bios say, is everything setup correctly?

6. bagged92sdime

yeah...my hardware is compatible w/ xp...and everything seems to be set up correctly in the bios...

7. Insomniac

If you are getting NTLDR is missing error, see if THIS helps.

8. bagged92sdime

i went there...i never got to install windows on the hd...i bought it brand new at staples...so i dont have any system files....i have no clue what to do there....

9. Insomniac

It has specific instructions. Which do you get stuck at?

10. bagged92sdime

well, 1, becuz i cant do a start up disk...i dont have a fdd...but if by some chance i can use my xp cd for this, then step 2...

11. Insomniac

Are you using FAT32, or NTFS? That link is only for FAT32.

You could try to enter the Recovery Console and use the command fixboot.

12. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Insomniac
    , do you think this could be related. Not exactly the same error but similar circumstances.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316400

Steve

13. bagged92sdime

ok...its fixed...my bro got this comp from one of his friends and took the memory and video card out...i replaced both, but it wouldnt work...well, he put the memory back in that was in it to start with and it worked just fine...lol...

14. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Fantastic. Good job. :)

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds