windows 2000 pro operating system will not start or reboot

Discussion in 'Software' started by markh, Oct 5, 2006.

1. markh

markh Private E-2

I tried an "idiot proff" registry cleaner program to clean our ultra slow Toshiba techtra 8000 computer operating Windows 2000 professional. It located over 600 problems and asked if I wanted to delete them...of course I did, then it prompts "you need to reboot for the effects to take place" so I did, but now the comuter goes into a recycling mode of opening only the initial windows 'starting up' page, loads for a few seconds and then shuts down, goes into re-start mode again, over and over and over...I'm an idiot,... but how can I fix the problem and open the Windows syatem to either save all the data stored in our files or reverse the registry clean up act I commited or at least get the operating system to cyle through to open windows fully to see if I wiped out our live's?
    Thks:eek:

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

And btw, Welcome to MajorGeeks :p

4. runninron69

runninron69 Private E-2

I have a somewhat similar problem in that when I try to go to msn.com my cable modem lets it open and thenit goes right back to my desk top.I just got cable modem from mediacom.Any suggestions?Also ,the bar that contains the start button,open windows,clock,etc. across the bottom of the screen somehow got moved to a vertical position on the left side of the screen.How do I get it moved back to the bottom.Yes,I am computer illiterate so don't make it any harder to understand than you have too.Thanks and have a better day.:confused::(

5. markh

markh Private E-2

Thank you very much Tim, I have finally gone through the process you suggested and as outliined on the link web site. I tried re installing the windows 2000 operating system, folowed the process to the re boot phase(screen) I thought that all was proceeding well. The repair program loaded and came to a point where the program suggested I remove the re install disc, and the computer would then re boot. I folowed these instructions and the computer started to re boot. BUT it goes back into the same cycle as before the re istallation attempt. That being the Windows system start up page displays and then the computer shuts down, trys to re boot again and again and again with no change.
    I fear I will have to re install the complete program and lose all of our previous data ? Is that your take as well?
    Many thanks
    Marl

6. TimW

Disconnect everything but one stick of ram and the harddrive (assuming you have onboard video ....if so, the video card ) plus all pci cards ...and cd drives ...try to boot ....if no go swap the ram and retry. Report back.

7. markh

markh Private E-2

Don't know how to do this??? How do I disconnect all but 1 stick of ram??? What do you mean 1 stick of ram?

8. TimW

Unplug the computer ....remove the side cover ...there will be one, two, three or more "sticks" of ram (they look like long very thin waffers - usually a greenish color that will be held in with white flip tabs). Tell me if you see them and how many you have.
    The cd drives and the floppy drive you should recognize easily ...pull the four wire power cords from them.

Lower on the motherboard are your pci slots (which will hold you ethernet or modem cards ...your video card if you have one and other device cards like sound cards) ...usually a screw holds them to the frame and you can pul them straight out after removing the screw.

After doing all that (but not until you've posted back with the info) you will plug back in and try to boot up.

9. markh

markh Private E-2

Hi Tim,
    I am nowin over my head. I can not manage to remove the cover exposing the mother board. I have been able to remove the HDdisc pack, the cd /dvd reader unit and the battery! I have removed a cover on te bottom of the computer reveiling a SLOT B and SLOT A. In Slot A there is a small unit that has 4 flat dark sticks laying flat across a small mounting board that holds then and that mounting board appears to slide inot SLOT A. SLOT B is idendical but has no unit with these small flat dark sticks??Where am I.

10. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

This has got to be a laptop. ed

11. markh

markh Private E-2

yup! it is a toshiba tecra 8000

12. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Well i assure you that Tim would not have told you to disasemble your pc had he known that it was a laptop. ed

13. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Im going to guess your windows is gone, you can get an adapter to hook up that hard drive to a reg. pc, hooked up as a slave drive you should be able to recover your data. ed

14. markh

markh Private E-2

Thanks Ed,
    Too late! I have bitten the bullet and re installed the windows 2000 pro system and ost all past data...thks for your help any whys...
    crushed!

15. TimW

Say what!!! (memo to self ....ask, ask, and ask some more).

Would have suggested trying the recovery console or the backup partition ...gezzzz

16. theefool

theefool Geekified

Is this a memo to yourself, TimW? :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds