Dell laptop keeps turning off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by volgrad86, May 20, 2007.

1. volgrad86

volgrad86 Private E-2

I have a Dell Inspiron 5150. It has developed a habit of turning off after it has been on for about 10 minutes. It can be turned back on and will do the same thing. This happens on while running on AC or battery. Has anyone had this problem and gotten it resolved. It seems worse when trying to run a video file or virus scan, etc.

2. jimmy_iz_god

jimmy_iz_god Private E-2

sounds like its overheating mate.
    check to see the fans are running, if they are then the heatsinks may be dirty (if dust covers them they are virtually useless. )

3. DellCA

DellCA Private E-2

If the problem is heat then jimmy_iz_god is correct, the heatsinks and fans should be checked for dust, and to make sure they are working. The service manual for the Inspiron 5150 is available on the Dell support website (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins5100/en/index.htm) and has the full instructions for getting into the computer to clean (and if needed, replace) the fans.

If you do not feel comfortable opening up the computer to clean it out then I would recommend using canned air or a vacuum to carefully remove any accumulated dust from the airvents on the systems. Make sure it is powered off and the battery and AC cords are removed before you do this.

If you have any other questions about the computer, or if cleaning the heatsink/fan does not fix the problem, I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Larry
    Dell Customer Advocate

4. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Also make sure about where the laptop is setting, dont put it on the bed, pillow, or anywhere air cannot get underneath it, raising the rear of the laptop with something[ like a deck of cards] will improve airflow, a cooling plate is even better. ed

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds