disable windows automatically opening email links in internet explorer

Discussion in 'Software' started by afm409, Nov 19, 2007.

1. afm409

afm409 Private E-2

hi,

majorgeeks has helped me out. i usually download software. and read the removing malware guide.

i actually have a question. i have been trying to find something on how to disable windows from opening links, as in links in outlook emails someone has sent me, from opening in internet explorer by defualt. i want everything to open in firefox.

this also holds true for webpages that i save. when i click on the .htm file, it opens in ie. i have mozilla set as default and that option not checked in ie.

i figure there is probably a registry entry to change.

any help would be appreciated.

thank you,
    tony m

2. RuntOfTheLitter3

RuntOfTheLitter3 Private E-2

Right click on the start bar and select Properties. Click the Start Menu Tab, then Customize. Under "Show on Start Menu," select Mozilla there, I'm not positive this is the only place this could be configured.

3. RuntOfTheLitter3

RuntOfTheLitter3 Private E-2

Found it! Set program access and defaults. They're usually annoyingly everywhere in the start menu. click custom and select the double down arrow. under email, select the program you want to use.

4. afm409

afm409 Private E-2

hi,

thanks for the response.

ok, i got it to default to firefox for everything, except - opening a link that someone sends me in an Outlook email. it still opens in IE.

still working on it...
    tony

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Until you find how to do this, instead of clicking on the link in the email, highlight it and press ctrl+c to copy the link. Fire up FF and put the cursor in the address bar, after you've cleared it, and press ctrl+v to paste the link so FF will open it.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds