Opening .fdf file in Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sgtmackenzie, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Sgtmackenzie

Sgtmackenzie Private E-2

I have a user attempting to open an .fdf file from our website(he gets this with the .pdf's as well) and whenever he attempts to open it he gets an Internet Explorer window with a Red X in the upper left hand corner, and the Adobe Reader splash screen does not even come up. He has a clean install of Adobe Reader 6.0.1, on Windows XP Pro, SP2. The "Display PDF in browser" option in Reader is Checked and has to remain that way for the .fdf data to fill in the .pdf properly. Any Ideas?

*Admins - sorry if this is the wrong section - feel free to move it.

2. tux2460

tux2460 Private First Class

does it happen with other fdf/pdf files, or is it just from your website?

3. Sgtmackenzie

Sgtmackenzie Private E-2

It happens with other sites as well, ever since he installed SP2 for WinXp he's had this issue. I've seen this same problem one other time, and the only way to get Reader to pull up the files again in Internet Explorer was to uninstall SP2, which is far from a desirable workaround.

Just throwing all this out there in the off chance that someone has seen an issue similar to this.

Thanks!

4. tux2460

tux2460 Private First Class

did the customer try, uninstalling and reinstalling SP2? The only thing I can think of is to try a series of Uninstall SP2, then Adobe, reinstall SP2 then adobe. And the variations in order of uninstalls and when, its worked for me before when other programs wouldn't cooperate unless installed in a certain order.

5. Sgtmackenzie

Sgtmackenzie Private E-2

That's the only thing I can think of too so far. I'm hoping that this works, unless it is something security related that is blocking Adobe Reader from opening as a "Helper" application.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds