Need a 2nd opinion for reassurance

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anon-7f4ca145be, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Anon-7f4ca145be

Anon-7f4ca145be Anonymized

Good morning, I'm running Windows 10 with 12GB RAM.

Drive Booster 3 has identified 5 system updates, part of the Intel motherboard and CPU and this is a bit scary. Over time Drive Booster has been 100% accurate with no install problems on 35 previous driver updates, so confidence is pretty high, but 5 system driver updates at once!

The drives needing update are shown in the attached image.

Normally I would do one driver at a time, then if something is wrong I know what caused it, but in this case all 5 drivers seem to be needed at once (they were issued at once by Intel) because the components might be interrelated.

Is one at a time still preferable or not in this case?

Attached Files:

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

My practise is to only update drivers when necessary - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Firstly, click on Available: 7/14/2015, one at a time and look at the driver version and size. They might be the same driver for all those devices.

Secondly, for peace of mind, download Intel Driver Update Utility and do a scan. If no updates are shown, ignore Driver Booster's recommendation.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/intel_driver_update_utility.html

3. Anon-7f4ca145be

Anon-7f4ca145be Anonymized

Thank you, good advice, I frequently tinker too much.
    Same update for all 5 items, very small 10.03kb, but I ran the Intel Driver Update Utility anyway and it did not show these as updates to my system, so I'm going to hold off for awhile. Windows 10 is operating about as perfect as an OS can right now, fast, smooth, and no error messages.

4. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

I've been using Driver Booster for quite a while, and have yet to experience a problem with it. I just used the 3 version a few days ago, and it also found several system updates for my Win 7 computers. Looking at your photo it appears I had pretty much the same come up when I ran SB3.

I'm usually like Eldon in the belief that if something isn't malfunctioning, don't tinker with it . . . but when it comes to system drivers I differ. Updated system drivers can improve stability and performance. I have seen this first hand. I do stay away from any video updates, as I think that should be done via the AMD, Nvidia, etc. sites.

I've not used 10 yet, but I imagine the system Restore feature works about the same. I suggest doing a restore point (I think Driver Booster does that for you) and installing the updates one at a time, then re-scanning with Driver Booster. Like Eldon said, they could be the same for a number of components.

Never had a problem with the Intel Driver Update utility either, but it's scope is limited.

Before any major tinkering, it's a good idea to do a complete hard drive back up, using a program like Easus:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/easeus_todo_backup_free_edition.html

I do a system backup every few weeks, keeping the most recent two and deleting the oldest one. The backups are stored on a secondary drive, and for my "main" PC, on a network drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds