Internet works in Safe Mode ONLY!

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Feb 9, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I looked thru some similar threads but they all seemed malware related. This PC is running WinXP MCE and it will connect and successfully ping from the command prompt, but will not open web pages. I've tried alternative browsers like FireFox and Opera. I've tried the WinSock/TCPIP fix. I've tried an LSP fix, and Dial-A-Fix. When you try to open a web site, it comes up really fast that the page cannot be displayed; like it doesn't even need to 'think' about it for a second. But in safe mode, IE works no problem. I've noticed that even though there's no Norton/Symantec products in the All Programs list, there is a Norton icon in the control panel, and several Norton and Symantec programs in Add/Remove Programs, and there's like 4 or 5 Norton services running. Stopping the services didn't help. The Symantec and Norton programs will not uninstall from Add/Remove. They will not uninstall with the Norton Removal Tool, it just sits on a file/folder called SAVRT. It doesn't lock up or stop responding, it just sits there with the little magnifying glass doing its thing, and the hard drive LED isn't lit up... I've tried two different 3rd party uninstallers also. Still Norton is there, and I think it has alot to do with the internet connection trouble. So, before this post gets too long (it may be too late for that), does anyone have any ideas? I've tried installing IE7, no luck. I've uninstalled it back to IE6, no luck..... :cry H E L P !
    Thanks!

2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Dropped Norton after reusing '03 for a year because 'the 04 version I purchased had a problem similar to what you are having, and this was after having the Microsoft Certified guy check it out. There is a good uninstaller for Norton products available on line, check out the Symantec website. I like using Comodo and AVG for freeware, or Trend Micro for shareware.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds