Need Help Finding Ethernet Driver And Others

Discussion in 'Software' started by timthefunnyman, Jan 11, 2009.

1. timthefunnyman

timthefunnyman Private E-2

Alright so I bought an HP Pavilion a6700f a week ago and of course it came with the beautiful Windows Vista. Well I couldn't stand it anymore and last night I decided to install XP. It looks like everything went smooth in the installation except for that all the drivers cannot be found, such as sound and what not. Anyway I have been really looking for help on finding an ethernet driver because if I had that I would then go online and download a driver updater which then I could update the rest of my drivers. Here is the info I can give you.

Here is the motherboard:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...75&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3856266&lang=en

I found the name of the driver but can't seem to find it anywhere.
    Name of the card: PCI Realtek RTL8201N 10/100Mbps

So please if you can help me find the driver for the ethernet card I would really appreciate it.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major

You have an NVidia chipset which means that the ethernet driver is bundled in with some other system drivers like the SMBus and others. You can download it from this link. If you're using the on-board audio, it's the RealTek ALC888 audio chip which supports hi-def audio. This means you need to install KB888111 before installing the audio driver. KB888111 is the HD audio update from Microsoft, also called the UAA update. You can download KB888111 from this direct link. Your audio drivers are available right here at Major Geeks. Use this link. If using the on-board video (also by NVidia) you can use this driver.
    I hope these help! If you have any problems or other questions, feel free to post!

[dlb]
    :-D

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

By the way... you mentioned using a "driver updater". Not only are these types of programs totally unnecessary, but (in my humble opinion) many are borderline spyware/adware and most are not free. Drivers rarely need to be updated to the latest versions all the time. The only exception to this would be if you're a gamer, you'd want to update your video drivers from time to time as newer drivers can provide performance increases in the games.

4. timthefunnyman

Ok and your saying that this should solve my problem?

5. timthefunnyman

alright well i put the driver on my computer and the internet still doesn't seem to be working... Any help?

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Take a look at the Device Manager and post anything that has a yellow exclamation point ! next to it or a question mark ? or a red X. Posting a screen shot of the Device Manager might be easier. You might also want to attach an Everest report to your next post to save some time so I won't ask for it later if it's needed....

7. syncbox

syncbox Private E-2

Everest? How does one connect to it without an Ethernet controller? I cannot get online at all.

Also, wondering if my pci wireless card (dlink) could be the issue rather than the LAN networking? Even though the vista computer says it "found" a new device and needs to install drivers (software) for the new device, no disk or pointing to what SHOULD be the correct driver seems to work.

note also that this vista p.o.c. is a replacement for the same company's windows xp p.o.c. computer -- which (so they say) failed because of the wireless card *I* installed... this one, they installed. So...

??

8. timthefunnyman

9. timthefunnyman

Alright i got the report.

Attached Files:

10. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

First off, you didn't mention you were running XP Pro 64bit so the NVidia chipset drivers I linked to won't work. If they actually installed without any errors or problems, I'm really surprised. You did say you installed them, but the screen shot shows that the SMBus is not installed, which means the driver didn't install. So, use this 64bit driver for the SMBus and the other unknown PCI Bridge Device (which may be the on board ethernet). The device manager screen shot also shows that you have a wifi device installed- possibly two, but it might be the same device coming up twice. I looked through the report and it shows no on-board ethernet controller. So it's either disabled in the BIOS or it's the "unknown PCI Bridge Device", or it's faulty. Looking through the report I also noticed many 'undetermined' entries. This means the chipset driver is definitely not installed. Check the BIOS and make sure the on-board ethernet is enabled, and install the 64bit chipset drivers I linked to above in this post.

11. timthefunnyman

Ok I am installing the drive right now. Also yes I do have 2 wifi cards one that came with the computer(which didn't have a driver before) and one that i put in myself and I was able to install it with my flash drive. That is why I am able to connect to the internet right now(the other one works too) Anyway I'll have a look in the BIOS.

12. timthefunnyman

checked the BIOS and its enabled. Still downloading the driver.. take a long time on this wireless. Anyway I was wondering if it is possible if there isnt a drive at all for windows XP? as it came with Vista..God I hope not.

13. timthefunnyman

WOW !!! dlb I would like to thank you for helping me get through this and get it working. The driver that you sent me worked perfectly ! Thanks a lot man. Now I don't need to use Vista !

14. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:highfive Glad I could help! :dood

Any time you need PC help, you know where to come. Tell your friends and neighbors! LOL

[dlb]
    :-D

15. jimnav3

jimnav3 Private E-2

I just got an HP Pavilion a6700f in the box still unopen. Anyone out there have successfully installed Windows XP Professional edition SP3 or SP2 with all device drivers (got rid all exclamation points) to this Pavilion HP a6700f? Is it safe to open the box, whack the Vista and start installing XP Pro? Or I'll have to go return it to OfficeDepot and buy Dell direct???

16. timthefunnyman

Yes I have installed Windows XP Pro 64 bit on the Pavilion a6700f. As long as you have the Windows XP Pro CD I can tell you all the drivers you'll need for it.

Also tell me if you are installing XP 64 bit or XP 32 bit...

17. jimnav3

jimnav3 Private E-2

I have XP 32-bit but I wish I can get an XP 64-bit.

18. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

@ jimnav3: please start a new thread (or maybe a forum admin will start a new thread beginning with #15 above).

19. rogmgc

rogmgc Private E-2

Hi,

I'm running into similar problems. (XPPro-SP2 drivers for HP A6700F)
    A friend got my ethernet running and then I muddled through the audio driver update.

Stuck on enabling the built in wireless now.
    Used driver found here:

> ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software8/COL19026/pv-49309-1/sp34975.exe

but it reports "Your system does not meet teh minimum requirements for this update. Update has been cancelled. (9995)"
    This is reported in a pop window labeled "Summer 2006 Original Liteon Wireless Lan Driver"

Anyone know of a better driver or procedure?

thanks
    roger

20. jimnav3

jimnav3 Private E-2

OKAY, I STARTED A NEW THREAD BUT NOBODY BOTHERED TO REPLY. WHAT'S THE PROBLEM FOR CONTINUING AN EXISTING THREAD SIMILAR TO MY WOULD BE QUESTION???:confused

21. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

@ rogmgc: please start a new thread.

@ jimnav3: if you started a new thread, I can't seem to find it. Please relax and either post a link to your new thread, or start another new thread. And to answer your question:
    The original thread started here by a different user (timthefunnyman) has been solved. It is his thread; the problem is solved; end of story. These are the forum/site rules. I didn't create the site; I didn't create the rules. But the site is awesome and it works because people follow the rules! The way it works is this: one problem per thread starter per thread. So, if I have an audio driver problem, I'd start a thread. Lets say in the meantime I have a video driver problem. I would start a new thread for the new problem. Lets say KingOfSiam comes along and has the same PC I have and also has an audio driver problem. He has to start his own thread because he may have different reasons for the audio troubles. If the people trying to help me in my audio thread also had to deal with questions about my video problem and KingOfSiam's audio problem, we'd have mass confusion. If I had to deal with suggestions as to how to fix my audio problems, my video problems, and KingOfSiam's audio problems, we would have mass confusion. So, lighten up and deal with it ;) The site is designed to be easy to use for novices and experts and all those in between, and for problem solvers or 'helpers' and the problem 'owners'.

[dlb]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  22. rogmgc

rogmgc Private E-2

Thanks for the explanation dlb.
    I'll definitely follow those rules moving forward.
    Certainly don't want to step on the toes of people kind enough to help.
    thx again
    roger

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds