PC won't start and makes buzzing sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Niffer, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Niffer

Niffer Private E-2

As of a day ago my pc won't start. I hit the power button, lights turn on on the tower, the monitor shows nothing, and there is a very quiet repetitive buzzing sound coming from the speaker on the motherboard. I think it buzzes six times and then nothing. I can then hit the power button again and all the lights instantly turn off.
    Yesterday I opened it up and blew it out (it was VERY dusty) but that didn't help.
    Any ideas?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Try another power supply.

3. Niffer

Niffer Private E-2

Actually we finally figured it out tonight. It was a bad memory card. A new one is on the way.

4. IrishInNYC

IrishInNYC Private E-2

I know this is an old thread but I am experiencing the same thing. I powered down my computer to move some furniture and when I tried to restart it there are 6 buzzing/alarm type sounds that come from the motherboard itself. The sound is almost like the Emergency Broadcast System you hear on the radio.

All the fans are working in the tower, though it was very dusty.This

Once I hit the power button, its shuts down immediately. I have tried different power sources.

Any ideas? The OP mentioned it was his memory card? How do find this or replace it?

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

If your PC is a name brand give the model number and we can try to find the BIOS type to understand the beep codes. Are the sounds uniform in length (some BIOS have a combination of long and short beeps)?

Edit: First thing to check for 6 beeps is that your keyboard plug is firmly in place.

6. IrishInNYC

IrishInNYC Private E-2

It's a Dell Model L375P-00

Each buzz is the same length, about 2.5 seconds long. The 3rd and 4th buzz are much closer together than the 1st and 2nd or the 5th and 6th (which are the same length apart, about 2 seconds).

7. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi, your memory card/s are located on the motherboard like this...(look at attachment), there will be 2 clips holding the RAM in place.

BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO REMOVE RAM POWER OFF YOUR MACHINE, REMOVE THE POWER LEAD, PRESS AND HOLD POWER ON BUTTON FOR AT LEAST 30 SECONDS, GROUND YOURSELF BY EITHER WEARING ANTI-STATIC WRISTBAND OR BY TOUCHING A TAP OR RADIATOR TO EXPEL ANY STATIC YOU ARE HOLDING.

Open the tower by removing the side panel, you should now be able to see where the ram is situated, once located depress the clips at either end of the RAM stick/s and remove. To clean the RAM you can use an eraser to rub the gold contacts that run along the bottom of the stick, or you can use an alcohol wipe, you must allow for the contacts to dry before re-installing using that method. Once you have cleaned the RAM re-install 1 stick of RAM first,PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST LINE UP THE GROOVE/S IN THE SLOT TO MATCH THEM ON THE RAM, as this will help determine if it is the RAM that is bad!!. Ok power up your machine and lets see how we get on.....(only do this if you have more than 1 RAM module).. if everything is ok then power off as instructed before and replace that RAM with the other stick, Do this also if the first stick failed!!!! Try the other stick in the same slot as the last one... power on again and let me know if issue is still there.....
    If you only have 1 stick of RAM try seating it in the other available slot and power up and let me know if it resolves your problem......whilst you have your RAM out of the computer you can note down the type it is i.e DDR, DDR2, there should be a sticker on it showing what type it is, note this as you will need it to get compatible replacement/s if it is your ram that is bad..
    It may sound daunting but it is realy a very simple procedure to do, if you encounter any problems please let me know as me/we can help and guide you through this.
    iain.t :major

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  8. sach2

Hi, the LP375 is the Power Supply number. I just need the model number off the front or the tag on the back.

9. IrishInNYC

IrishInNYC Private E-2

That worked! Took out the RAM, (Samsung 512MB, didn't notice DDR or anything) cleaned the contacts, reinserted them and hey presto, it works. Thanks a ton for your help.

10. sach2

Good job! :)

11. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

No problem just pleased everything is in order once again.
    Regards iain.t :major

12. poets

poets Private E-2

Re: PC won't start and makes buzzing sound from speaker iand monitor does not turn on

Re: PC won't start and makes buzzing sound from speaker in motherboard also monitor does not turn on????

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds