Cannot Uninstall AVG 8.5. Help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by mongooseba, Apr 17, 2010.

1. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Hi All,

I wanted to change my anitvirus program to a different one from what I have currently, AVG 8.5, and noticed that I'm unable to uninstall this program. Used the "Add/Rem program" on my XP Pro and the following error occurred.

Error: Action failed for registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows: creating registry key....
    Error 0x80070005

Check the permissions on the main folder and apparently I'm unable to change it even with as an administrator. Is there a problem with my administrator settings? Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Mongooseba rolleyes

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Moved to the software forum.

Please go here and download and run the AVG Removal Tool.

3. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Hi TimW,

Thanks for redirecting me to the AVG site. Ran the AVG Removal.exe on 32 bit system. Seems that AVG is gone.

Rebooted the system and tried to load new Comodo's AV. The installation failed. It gave me the following:

Cannot Install Comodo Antivirus: ... Error: 1603. Stop the AntiSpyware during the install but it is of no avail.

What should I do? Thanks.

Mongooseba:-o

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I can't open the Comodo help site - undergoing maintenance but I managed to grab this fromm Google's cache. It is a posting from March 2010
    Can you check what version of Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility you are running?
    If you do not know or it is not installed on your computer, you can download the latest here.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
    That helps to cleanout Comodo when switching version - so it may not be needed in your case.

5. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Hi Plodr,

Check the registry under HKLM/.../Comodo Internet Security and the entry was not present. Uninstalled the Comodore Live Update and I presume all the entries from Comodo is removed. Got tired of trying to install Comodo, so I used Avira AV instead. What do you think?

Am I suppose to update the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility via your thread?

I checked my Windows Task Manager and noticed that under Processes/System Idel Procss is 99% with memory usage of 16K in a 2G/XP Pro. Is this normal?

Thanks.

Mongooseba:-o

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

99% idle is good when nothing is running.

Avira works fine for me; I switched from AVG to it sometime last year.

Don't worry about the MS Installer Cleanup Utility since Avira installed, that means Comodo was cleaned off okay.

7. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Hi Plodr,

Thanks a bunch for all your help with the explanations.

Mongooseba:-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds