Should I Wipe Out My Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Software' started by danielakelly, Jul 21, 2004.

1. danielakelly

danielakelly Private E-2

Have had annoying Spyware/Virus problems that seem to recur. Am considering totally wiping out the C drive and reloading XP, drivers and my
    personal document and photo files.

What's wrong with doing this? How difficult would it be?

Can Windows XP be simply reloaded from the (Gateway) Operating System disc? (Is there a "boot" program on the hard drive that's needed?)

Seems to me this may be easier than spending many, many hours researching spyware/virus problems in an attempt to clear them (have used various tools such as "cwshredder" and Spysweeper to clear up some problems without total success).

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

We geeks typically like to prevail over scumware but at the last resort a reload always does the trick.
    The restore CD that comes with the gateway should completely wipe out and reload your system. ALL DATA WILL BE LOST DURING THIS PROCESS SO BACK UP WHAT YOU NEED FIRST!!!!!!!!!

It's typically as easy as putting the CD in the drive and booting the system. The cd is bootable and should give you a menu of options to choose from.

3. danielakelly

danielakelly Private E-2

Thanks, Kodo. I haven't thrown in the towel yet as far as "prevailing over the scumware", but am wasting a lot of good fishing time trying to do so!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds