Microsoft Java VM Removal & Sun Java Install

Discussion in 'Software' started by cjbeers, Nov 20, 2004.

1. cjbeers

cjbeers Private E-2

Hello all....first post

I have spent the last evening following all the instructions to removing spyware and malware on my computer. I've gotten to the part about keeping my computer safe and secure. I have used Windows update and now use Mozilla Firefox 1.0. I have a Pent. III 600 w/ 256 RAM and run Windows 2000 Pro.

The thing I have had trouble with is removing MS Java VM. When I enter "RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection java.inf,UnInstall" --- I get the message that "java.inf" cannot be found.

Also, the "java.pnf" file in the "inf" folder is also missing.

The java folder and the "jview.exe" file are still present and I have not touched any of the registry entries bc I don't want to touch them until I have figured out the above.

Does the above mean that MS Java VM is no longer present??

Should I just erase the java folder and "jview.exe" file, as well as the registry entries???

Or should I just go straight to downloading Sun Java and leave everything else alone??

I am trying to figure this out because it seems that on many pages while using Firefox, it asks to install plugins (which I am assuming has something to do with the Java). I just want to make sure so that I don't have the same problems as the person who posted the following thread:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/archive/index.php/t-47233

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2004
  2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

As explained, you only need to do what works. If something is missing, ignore it. Odds are, at this point, you can install Sun Java and that will do it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds