helpctr.exe multipe instances - fixed

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gizmobyte, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Gizmobyte

Gizmobyte Private E-2

"Running a laptop, initially it boots into windows XP which appears to be running fine. Then as you open outlook express the help file for itstarts opening without being requested. Over a matter of a few minutes the machine seems to be over taken by multiple instances (over 130) of the help files and freezes. After switching off the PC by turning off the power it is then impossible to reboot the pc for a considerable amount of time as it locks up with a continual beeping as if you were holding down a key.

After this happened the first time I was able to restart the machine some time later and opened it in safe mode at which point I did a system restore to an earlier date. The machine then rebooted and opened into windows xp normally and appeared to run normally. I carried out a virus and spybot scan. I also ran a spybot search and destroy scan. None of these found anything which would be considered 'new' or 'critical'. I then used the machine as I normally would and switched it off. "

This was posted earlier without an answer to resolve the question, and, haven't seen the answer elsewhere so thought I'd post one potential fix. In this case the solution is pretty simple. I had a laptop in here where it'd boot up in Safe Mode after a clean format, with fixboot & fixmbr ran as well, and it'd start up a multitude of the Windows Help & Support Screen until the whole system locked up. Assuming there was a key combination that would start up helpctr.exe I googled and found that pressing F1 will start that process up. I tapped on the F1 key a bunch of times and it must of gotten unstuck as the helpctr.exe stopped loading. So in this case, problem is strictly hardware related, need to get a new keyboard.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds