Internet not working on some computers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by typpeo, Jun 21, 2010.

1. typpeo

typpeo Private E-2

Hi All,

My parents just added internet to their beach house using Comcast as the provider with a purchased Motorola Surfboard router

My pops said he got it hooked up and it worked fine on his machine but it was acting strange on my brother-in-laws laptop.

So I was down there and checked it out but I was unable to get it to work on my work laptop. I could maybe get to google for a few seconds and then it would stop working. I tried changing the wireless to open since I could connect to the modem directly VIA IP. I then tried by wife's laptop and sure enough it worked fine. Connected using WPA with the password and all was fine.

I thought it might have been the wireless and after changing half the settings I found cat 5 cable and tried connecting directly to it but that didn't work either. I was getting the same error in my browsers unable to resolve host. I had an IP address and could connect to the router which is what was bothering me. I also was able to connect to local unprotected signals with no issues and I have no problems with my laptop on my home wireless network.

In any case does anyone have any suggestions? I am no longer at the beach house but I would like to see what might be the problem.

Both laptops testing were running XP mine should be SP3 but I'm not sure what the other laptop has. The only difference was that my machine was set for a corporate network which is the only thing I can think of. The fact that the internet would sometimes work for a few seconds then fail is what is really throwing me off. Anyone have any insight?

Thanks

2. wilddean

wilddean Private E-2

Thinking about it, its a bit of a tuffen,

I my self have struggled with Wireless networks many many times over the years but for it to not work through ethernet aswell is very strange.

Just gonna ask a few details on the motorola Surfboard Router. (from UK and havent heard of it)

Have you tired assigning all The PCS static IP addresses and DNS

Sounds like it mite either be conflicting IP's or a problem with the DHCP distribution.

When you connect try resetting your IP address aswell and see how you get on.

Sorry cant be anymore help but its worth a try with no experience of this router

Billy

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2010
  3. y2ken

y2ken Private E-2

"The only difference was that my machine was set for a corporate network"

Try temporarily disabling the 'Proxy Server' in your LAN settings. You may have to re-enable it to once again connect to your Corporate Network.

Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Connections --> LAN Settings --> Uncheck the box for Proxy Server

4. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

The link you provided is for a Modem, not a router. Without knowing for sure what the hardware configuration is, there is no way to even guess at what the problem may be.

Do you have a router installed between the Modem and the computers? What is the make and model?

Is the link you provided accurate as far as the Modem goes? Is it a Motorola SB6120. The SB6120 is a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem which is a good choice.

Here is a page to help with home networking basics.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds