What Folders are hogging your Hard drive space?

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, Dec 8, 2006.

1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

From www.majorgeeks.com front page today. For NTFS drives.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Not a bad app Bazza if you wish to see whats taking up space on your HDs, sadly doesnt seem to work for USB drives or pens on the OS I was using, maybe not compatible with Vista as yet, but it did work for internal drives ok.

3. bigbazza

Thanks for your input, Halo.

Does Scanner (pie chart program) work on Vista, and USB sticks withVista?
    It definitely works on USB memory sticks, in XP Pro.

Refer to posts http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=103269
    and http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=97694 for Pie chart links to 2 pie chart programs. Scanner is the best choice and faster, IMHO.

I think I'll stick to Scanner. It is fast and works on all that I want it to. (XP Pro). Bazza

===

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

The program runs fine on vista build 5744. My mobo is dying, so can't check the USB sticks.

5. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Not a bad app Bazza if you wish to see whats taking up space on your HDs... Halo <<

Halo, my favorite tool for this purpose is called WinDirStat meaning "Windows Directory Statistics." I don't think it's available here at Major Geeks; but users can read about it and download it from the windirstat.info webpage.

After downloaded the tool; users receive only one tiny zip file (620 kB). You can unzip this file and either start windirstat.exe directly or - if you like - run setup.exe and follow its instructions.

It is an incredibly useful tool; not only for quickly locating any "space hogging" files; but also using "right click" functionality to take you directly to the "problem files" in question and remove them, if it's possible. I recently used it to discover what was "eating" my Hard Drive space (after using the "bootvis" utility).

AMUST Disk Cleaner Looks very promising indeed... Thanks Bazza!

Good Luck!

6. bigbazza

Thanks for your input also, COMPUABLE.:D

I still love your original recommendation, going back a bit, to Scanner pie charter.:cool:

Now it looks like I'm going to have to check out AMUST Disk Cleaner (an unfortunate choice of name, IMHO), and WinDirStats, as well.;) :D
    Bazza

===

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  7. theefool

theefool Geekified

Windirstat is an awesome program. I have a few friends in the enterprise world, who use it.

8. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

hi,
    just downloaded amust disk cleaner, tried to run it and it says 'requires xp or higher' even though the link says its for nt/2k/xp/2003 - i run w2k pro so can't run it,
    just thought i would let you know

9. bigbazza

Try the pie chart one (Scanner) from http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/scn2.zip :cool:

Just visited their site and it doesn't say what OS it will run on. :p
    It works great with XP Pro but I can't tell if it will work with w2k.:confused:
    Hope it does, let us know. ;) Bazza

===

10. bigbazza

Thanks, mate.:cool:
    Looks like we've got most OS's covered,:) except advice on w2k. :confused:

Would guess it would work on w2k also, but we''ll have to wait for a definite answer. ;)
    Hope you liked it. Bazza

===

11. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Bazza to follow up, yes those other two work on Vista fine for both internal and external USB HDs and USB Pens.

Your original suggestion I tried on XP and it works ok, only tried it as you sugested it and you know I'm curious.... do I need one of these apps, no not really but trying that one which was new to me keeps me upto date in case I have find the need to use/suggest it in a reply to a thread.

12. bigbazza

Thanks COMPUABLE and Halo.
    Looks like everything is covered by Scanner. :)
    From W98 to Vista, internal hard drives, external hard drives and USB pens (memory sticks, flash drives, pen drives, whatever. Wish they'd settle on one name).

Thanks guys. :cool: Bazza

13. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

There was another prgram here on MG, that I think was called Disk View. I don't seem to be able to find it anywhere now. It was a little more flexible and I think a better program. It showwed all info on pie charts and bar graphs. you could go deeper into anything on your PC. Maybe, it had spyware and was disallowed here?

14. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

hi bazza,
    works with w2k :D

15. bigbazza

Thanks hawklord, hope you like it. :cool:

@musksnipe@
    Thanks for the info.:)

Bazza

===

16. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Here is the disk viewer that I was talking about, Bazza. I am using it and have had to problems. It says the personal is cheaper but I downloaded it and have not seen anything about free trial. Works great!
    http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/

17. bigbazza

Thanks musksnipe, I'll give it a try. Bazza

PS: which version do you suggest? Baz

TreeSize Professional Trial Version, V4.1
    (TreeSizePro-Demo.exe, english & german, 3528 KB)

TreeSize Personal Trial Version, V4.1
    (TreeSizePersonal-Demo.exe, english & german, 3527 KB)

===

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds