Strange graphics card problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slimmatt01, Apr 29, 2012.

1. slimmatt01

slimmatt01 Private E-2

Ive got a ati 5770 thats showing corruption but only when watching media or browsing the web.. in games it runs without problems..

to test it was the card ive put it in my spare pc and it is still doing it.. i have another 1 in mine now and have no problems.

it just seems strange that in games when the card is pushed its flawless.

ahs anyone got any ideas how this is possibble.?

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Could you describe the corruption? Namely is the corruption confined to videos in the web browser or does it extend to the webpage also,does the corruption happen on the desktop or when browsing files.

Can you watch a downloaded video fine or a DVD? If only the video files are corrupt are they flash video files such as youtube or WMV videos or similar.

Do you have a different monitor to try?

In either case the first thing to try is the latest updated driver,try that straight away if you haven't already and post results.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

As for what's causing it it depends on the answers to the questions,if your using an old driver the latest driver may fix it,if its a hardware fault which it could be since you've experienced the same symptoms in two different computers you may be out of luck and have to RMA card unless some kind of workaround can be found.

3. slimmatt01

slimmatt01 Private E-2

The corruption is the good old checkerboard kind.. its all over the page somtimes and little bits at other times.. it happens when just reading web pages.. or watching videos on the web .. or downloaded videos. just media in general.
    or surfing in general.

dont matter what type of media i watch.. it happens.. ive tryed lots of drivers.. also it was working fine with the drivers that i had installed for about 6 months..

i just find is strange that games run fine.. id expect them to be the first to corrupt.

4. Rikky

http://majorgeeks.com/MSI_Afterburner_d6254.html

Run this program,do whatever until you get corruption and post your temperatures and GPU usage.

I doubt this will tell us anything IMO there is something wrong with the card that's corrupting your 2d display and I doubt we'll get to the bottom of it with software.

There's little you can try hardware wise without voiding your warranty,if it is still under warranty I would RMA the card ASAP.

Try a different monitor as I've said,try using a different DVI output,try a different DVI cable,try using the hdmi output,reseat which you've done,use a different PCI-E power connector.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  5. slimmatt01

slimmatt01 Private E-2

Ive pretty much tryed all that.. im just instrested as to why games work ok.. seems it should be the other way around.. working 2d and not in 3d.

its out of warrenty and ive just ordered a 6850. oh wel.. thats pc.

thanks for the replys.

6. Rikky

I have a working theory that may prove fruitful, apparently in your card and many similar card can suffer problems when it down clocks in 2D mode. This is an AMD power saving feature called 'powerplay'.

First look for the option power play in the catalyst control panel there should be an option to disable it,also try disabling all power saving features in the catalyst control panel and select maximum performance which may add stability.

What little research I've done suggests this feature and similar disable 'ULPS' power saving features are built into the bios settings and cannot be disabled,many users end up flashing the bios with custom settings as overclocks as custom clocks don't stick once the computer is restarted or the clocks are forced when it detects a video being played or switched to ultra low power mode.

In afterburner try upping the clocks 1mhz then saving to see if your card becomes stable in while displaying 2D,if it does work try clicking 'apply overclocking at start up' and restart your computer to see if the clocks have stuck,if it does work and clocks don't stick you'll have to do this every restart. You can also try adding a little voltage if the option is unlocked which will also add stability.

Make sure your card if clean of dust by blowing it out with canned air,any extra heat will make the lower clocks more unstable.

If none of this proves fruitful,research disabling ULPS and powerplay and 2D instability problems for more ideas as I don't own any ATI cards.

Let me know:)

7. slimmatt01

slimmatt01 Private E-2

Its got worse over the last day or so. to the point its corrupting the whole screen. its to far gone to fix i think.

ive now ordered a 6850 for under £100 so im giving up on it..

ty for your replys .

8. Rikky

No problem Slim good luck:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds