Please help with .exe stuff

Discussion in 'Software' started by howmanykells, Sep 7, 2007.

1. howmanykells

howmanykells Private E-2

I did the Read & Run Me first in the Malware forum. Well I have done these 4 steps as per chaslang's instructions, as I am on crappy dialup.

• run Ccleaner if already downloaded and installed
    • run the AVG Antispyware scan since you have already downloaded it.
    • And skip the Spybot, BitDefender, and Panda scans
    • Then get the logs from GetRunKey, ShowNew, and HijackThis
    Thus you should be attaching 4 logs:

Apparently I have no malware, so I went to the 'Protect From Malware' thread & I tried downloading the Outpost Firewall. The first time I pressed the 'Run' button on the download thingy & when it downloaded it said "C:\Documents and Settings\Kellie\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\ER46768E\outpostinstall[1].exe is not a valid Win32 application".

So I downloaded it again but hit the save button this time & saved it to 'D' drive. When I tried to open it says "......is not a valid Win32 application" (I lost the screenshot sorry!). I tried rebooting in Diagnostic mode (I don't have safe? only 'Normal', 'Diagnostic' & 'Selective' in my startup options.

I have tried these things from a thread entitled "most of my programs stopped responding normally".

http://www.winhelponline.com/exefix_xp.com Tried this, rebooted, nothing.

The below I saved to notepad & saved as 'all files' as fixme.reg. When I double clicked on it, I get this: 'Cannot import C:\Documents: Error opening the file. There may be a disk or file system error'.

I tried the UnhookExe & rebooted. Nope.

i looked at this, but the default for the first one was the same, but when I went to the second one there was no default in the right pane so I was too chicken to touch it.

Please help! I have not idea at all what I am doing & I could have screwed everything up with overzealous CCleanering or anything! A couple of other files aren't working either. Help!

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

First thing to try is to get your xp cd and go to start / run / type in "sfc /scannow" without quotes and put the cd in when prompted. Run it twice.

3. howmanykells

howmanykells Private E-2

Thank you!

I can't find my original XP cd. All I have found is:

Supervoice 'Modem's Driver Included'

Norton Anti-Virus 2005

I think I may have been gypped!!

I DO have my Office Proffesional Edition 2003 CD that I purchased about a year after I got the computer, can I use this one instead????

Other than that I have a 'back up' disc I created myself 6/7/05 just after I got the 'puter.

4. howmanykells

howmanykells Private E-2

i thought I would try it with my back up cd

BUT

When i went to run & typed in: sfc/scannow

I got a dialogue box that says "Windows cannot find 'sfc/scannow'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search'.

So I couldn't try it with any disc.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds