school project

Discussion in 'Software' started by gamemaker, Apr 7, 2012.

1. gamemaker

gamemaker Private E-2

Hi, everyone im new to this forum and i have a project for school, what i need is how to make a desktop like windows with a start menu, and how do i make the icons move and be able to move them, i know you have to us a listbox but i just dont know how to us it to make a desktop i gess what im asking for is how to make a fake operating system, should i us visual basic 6.0 for this or c++ i only know how to us visual basic 6.0 just starting it so im a newbe, i know the basics, and i when to planet sourc code and foun a some but know of them have what im looking for, this just a project i need for school so please help me just to get started thanks all four your help.:)

2. pcunite

pcunite Private E-2

The Windows DesktopĀ® is a ListView control in large icon mode. You'll need to learn about WIN32 classes and subclassing and many other things to do this. A programming tool known as C++ Builder (owned by Embarcadero) is popular for wrapping these classes in a somewhat easier way. But for this sort of thing you might be better off learning it manually. See the site I linked to below for a taste of what it's like.

Win32 API Tutorial
    http://winprog.org/tutorial/

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

4. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

pcunite is correct, a listview is likely one of the tools you'll need to be familiar with. However, I wouldn't bother with the C++ and the Win API because it will require a fair bit more knowledge to use. If I were you, I'd throw away VB 6.0 and start using VB.NET 2010. Or if you're feeling adventurous Go for C#.NET 2010.

They will both be much more up to date than Visual Studio 6.0.

Both of the links provided are to the Express versions. (FREE)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds