Compaq presario 5000 2nd dvd rom

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frazer, Feb 24, 2005.

1. frazer

frazer Private E-2

Jesus, I'm just about to pull my hair out !!!!

I have a compaq presario 5000 and am trying to bring it into 21st century. I've managed to fit a slave hard drive after about 30 crashes and reboots, but now have 32 gig instead of 12, yippee !!

Now I'm trying to fit a rewritable dvd thingy. It already had a dvd player and cd rom, so I'm replacing the cd rom with the DVD rewriter, cos it plays cd's too, which I think is the right decision?

Only problem is, once I'd figured out how to get the blinkin' thing out of the PC, I've found that there are not enough connections to power the drive up.

Has anyone managed to do this and if so, could you please tell me to save my sanity.

Thanks a lot

Steve

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

A DVD burner takes a standard molex power connector. Which is the exact same thing a cdrom drive uses. So if the old cdrom drive was working you just take the cords it was using and plug those into the DVD writer. The data cable and audio cable (if you're using one) is also the exact same cable.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds