Best Free Antivirus Out There

Discussion in 'Software' started by dc367, Mar 2, 2009.

1. dc367

dc367 Private E-2

What do you believe is the best free antivirus out there?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. dc367

dc367 Private E-2

I've used AVG for past few years and like it but just looking for others. Had seen both of those but haven't tried them.

4. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

Another vote for Avast! here

5. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Personally, I use Avira and I have found it a lot easier to use since I switched from AVG.

My college (not university) tutor was doing some research into malware for his PhD, and part of it was a comparison of antivirus products. Here are the results:

Norton(corporate edition)(commercial) found false positives (seeing a virus that isn't there) 0.2% of the time. It had positive negatives (not seeing viruses that are there) 4% of the time, and it took on average one day to update (for the company to release an update). This was the best commercial antivirus tested.

Kapernsky (Sp?)(freeware) found false positives 8% of the time, it had positive negatives 6% of the time, and it took 3 days to update. However, this product came out worst in terms of usability and support so is NOT RECOMENDED.

These are the two to watch:

AVG (freeware) found false positives 72% of the time, and positive negatives 78% of the time, and it took 1 day to update. Also, AVG uses the larges amount of computer resources out of the four. Therefore, I recommend you GET RID OF AVG IMMEDIATLEY!

The best performer in the freeware catergory was Avira. It found false positives 4% of the time, and postive negatives 6% of the time, ranking it very close to Norton. It is also very resource light, meaning it will impact less on your computer than all the others compared (other than Norton).

Therefore, my recommendation to you is to get Avira, as none of the other freeware antivirus products compared will do their jobs as well as Avira, especially not AVG.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

dc367, AVG is no longer just an av product; it is av and anti-malware so if you mention it be sure to let people know that fact. It might not play well if they are running another security program.

7. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Agree with Halo, as I'm also a satisfied Avast user!

8. dc367

dc367 Private E-2

Interesting guys. I really had no problems with AVG in the last couple years and put it on a lot of machines. I'm going to give Avast and Avira a try as well now. Thanks for all the input.

9. uncleflynn

uncleflynn Private E-2

OK, I'm a moron :-o (please God I'm not a troll as well!) - but please someone take pity on me!
    You guys are saying Avast free edition and I know you understand free the same way I do - so what am I doing wrong? I'm following the links and being asked to give my card details and pay £9 per year. :cry

please? in words of one syllable? for a bear of VERY little brain? :-o

10. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

Be sure you downloaded Avast! from MajorGeeks and after you install --- register here. It'll ask for your email account and then they'll email you a registration code --- no money needed. I don't know why your copy is asking for money.

11. uncleflynn

uncleflynn Private E-2

Thank you PapaDuke
    I had gone to the first download site on the list, which was the author's site. I shall remember in future to look for a MajorGeeks mirror!

12. night-train

night-train Private E-2

i just recently got into the computer game. so bare with me, if i sound like i dont know what im talking about. cause i probably dont. but ive used AVG for years now. i thought it worked great. and im sure it does to a point. but after checking out this site and seeing what you all had to say. i got rid of it, and downloaded Avast! it found multiple viruses that AVG never new was there. it seems very power easy on the system too. but i did also download Malwarebytes and Hijackthis. Mb found more on my computer and got rid of it. plus it helped get rid of a pesky file that was locked and had some viruses in it as well. HJT got rid of a few other issuse as well. now my system along with Systemcare3 runs smooth with no problems. so i thank you all for your sugjestions. and sapport Avast! HJT and Malwarebytes whole heartedly :cool AVG just aint what it used to be.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds