Battery will not charge

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by graybeard, Apr 19, 2011.

1. graybeard

graybeard Private E-2

Hi,
    graybeard here, I have a Acer aspire 5003wlci that the battery won't charge I can run it on ac power but it shuts itself off when it feels like it. My question is how can I tell if it needs a new battery or does the bios need to be updated? I have read that updated the bios will take care of the problem on some Acers but I can not find any help on my laptop. Help please

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, graybeard, and welcome to Major Geeks.

I'm having some trouble finding your model listed on the Acer links that I have available. If you can find your specific driver download page, check the BIOS updates for any file that addresses your problems. I suggest attempting to update your BIOS only if you can find the correct update.

Be advised: the mods will probably move this thread to one of the Support Forums.

3. BoneXXX

BoneXXX Private E-2

How old is ur laptop ? if it is 2 and older than definitely a battery issue and needs to be replaced. I had the same problem with my laptop. Dont leave the charger plugged in when the battery is attached to the laptop. Just un-attach the battery and pluged the charger if the battery is full.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You have two problems: a battery that will not charge (could be connector, adapter or battery) and
    overheating.

First, take care of the overheating. 99% of the time when a computer turns itself off, it is to protect the CPU from heat damage.

After that is fixed and the computer no longer turns off, we will try to figure out which of the three bits of hardware is the cause of the battery refusing to charge.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds