quesion about intel ViiV processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by the new tech guy, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Hey guys just a quick question for ya's. Today i was in comp usa and couldnt help but notice the new intel ViiV cpu's. I was wondering if that is a new version of the intel pentium line like a P5? Just wondering. I asked the person at the store but they were not sure. Maybe you guys would know...?
    thanks for responses in advance.
    -the new tech guy

2. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

If I understand it correctly, ViiV is to digital media as Centrino is to portable laptops. It's not really new technology, but rather hardware that is "certified" by Intel to perform media center like functions.

http://www.intel.com/products/viiv/

Intel says these are the 'key components':

-Processor
    Dual-core 64-bit processing power means smooth performance and complete control of your digital media.

-Chipset
    Advanced technology works in harmony with Intel drivers for vivid graphics, smooth video playback and support for up to 7.1 channel surround sound.

-Operating system
    Microsoft Windows* XP Media Center Edition makes it easy to control and enjoy your digital media.

3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

4. Ok so if i understand correctly it is just a special version of the intel cpu made for digital media like windows media center is a winxp tweak made for digital media. Thanks guys
    -Vince

5. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

It's not a special version of an intel CPU. They just use either a Pentium D, Core Duo, or Penitum 4 Extreme Edition processor.

6. Ok so it is just a pentium 4 or some similar type of intel processor made for digital media. like wyapp said, "it is like ViiV is to digital media as intel centrino is to laptops" where intel centrino is an intel celeron approved for laptops as ViiV is approved by intel for digital media on desktops. I hope i am understanding this correctly. Thanks for the info and paitience.
    -the new tech guy

7. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Sounds like you've got it. Although Centrino laptops don't have celerons. They have Pentium M processors. (M for mobile)

8. Oh well i thought that it was a celeron made for laptop because of the name resemblance too centrino, celeron. But thanks for the help guys :)
    -the new tech guy

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds