Error Message When Clicking On File or Drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by tboy34, Sep 23, 2010.

1. tboy34

tboy34 Private E-2

For some reason, When I click on a file or a drive on my computer. I get an error message saying that the file or drive, isn't associated with something to open it. If I right click on either, I can select to open and it will open. Is there a way to fix this issue, and why would this happen anyway. I'm working on Windows 7.

Attached Files:

2. Broni

Broni Private First Class

3. tboy34

tboy34 Private E-2

Yes it happens with drives and with folders, that are on the drives. Will this still work??

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

For files and folders, you should comply with what Windows is telling you to do: set your associations in Default Programs.

Be advised: the link that Broni provided contains a reference to a virus that will present your symptoms - did this problem suddenly surface? If so, you might want to walk through the Malware Read and Run Me First.

5. tboy34

tboy34 Private E-2

I don't have a problem with complying with what is being asked. I need a step by step guide to do it. I'm not sure what to associate these drives and folders to, to open. Would you happen to know where I can find this information??

6. Broni

Probably, your best step is to...
    Make sure, your computer is clean, first.
    If that doesn't solve your issue, you're more than welcome to come back here.

7. tboy34

tboy34 Private E-2

Yes I already made sure that the computer is Clean. I used Malware bytes and spybot search and distroy. How can do this to fix this issue.

8. Broni

Those two tools may be not enough to declare your computer as clean.
    I still suggest, you start new topic in malware forum.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds